About Our Job
The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Part Time (Weekend) Librarian (20 HR) for the Hampden Branch. In this position, you will serve the community through programming, reference, technology assistance, readers’ advisory, and front line customer service. You will foster curiosity through the exploration of recreational and educational resources for all audiences in multiple formats. You can expect to challenge inequity by creating welcoming spaces that foster belonging for all, and by providing technology resources and assistance. Additionally, as a DPL employee you will strengthen connections among staff and community by gathering together to discover creative ways to serve the community. You’ll be expected to honor the public trust by providing the highest level of service and equitable access to reliable information resources on a variety of topics, including the full scope of library services. This position does not have any direct reports though it may occasionally entail being the person in charge or guiding other staff in the absence of management.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Knowledge of the core values of librarianship, including: intellectual freedom, privacy, democracy, diversity, sustainability, serving the public good, access to information for all, and library advocacy.
- Lived experience within the Hampden community and/or the community-building skills to build strong ties with the customers and organizations within it.
- Skill in providing information to a vastly diverse audience, leading with cultural humility
- Ability to create and implement innovative services that sparks curiosity.
- Experience with reference services, programming, trauma informed practices, and customer service.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
- Language skills (Preferred): Spanish, Arabic, Somali
- Education requirement: Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program.
- Experience Requirement: One (1) of experience solving problems and providing customer service to business or public clients.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- License/Certifications: None
Other things to Know:
- The working schedule will be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Although the starting salary range is posted as an annual rate this is an hourly paid position. Compensation will be converted to an hourly rate and discussed during offer discussion.
- Please submit an application by end of day on November 3, 2023 to be considered for the position.
About Everything Else
LA2451 Librarian Hourly
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Although the starting salary range is posted as an annual rate this is an hourly paid position. Compensation will be converted to an hourly rate and discussed during offer discussion.
About Our Branch
The Hampden Branch is located in Southeast Denver in the Hampden Heights neighborhood. We’re a busy, medium-sized branch with a focus on providing a customer experience that reflects DPL’s Values of Welcoming, Curiosity, Connection, Equity and Stewardship. We pride ourselves on creating a welcoming and inclusive environment where we serve people of all ages from diverse ethnicities, all gender and sexual identities and with varied mental and physical abilities.