The Louisville Public Library seeks a warm, enthusiastic, customer service oriented and technologically savvy individual to work in our busy Adult Services Department. The Library Associate is committed to and offers excellent customer service, always putting the patron first. This includes understanding and using popular technology while helping patrons with basic tech questions, recommending materials to read or listen to, locating library materials and assisting with patron accounts. The ideal candidate reads voraciously and loves to recommend books; has passion and an eye for attractive merchandising and display; confidently takes on new tasks, and projects and thrives in a collaborative environment.
The Louisville Public Library celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment, where all employees are valued for their unique contributions.
Under the general direction of the Adult Services Supervisor and in partnership with Adult Services Librarians, provides timely information services; excellent reader's advisory; innovative programming; assistance with collection maintenance and circulation duties as needed. This position spends the majority of time working directly with patrons. Services will primarily be focused on adult patrons, but may also be provided for children and teens. Performs other work as required. Schedule includes evenings and rotating weekend hours. This is a 25 hour per week position.
- Warmly greet and authentically welcome patrons by suggesting and locating information and resources that meet our community’s needs.
- Provide instructional assistance in the use of library-supported technologies and resources, including basic instruction in using new and emerging devices and digital resources.
- Create and maintain fun and visually appealing displays for adult library users.
- Under the direction of Adult Services Librarians perform collection maintenance duties.
- Assist with planning and presentation of large-scale events and educational programs to library users.
- Promote library services and programs within the community on an as-needed basis during community outreach.
- Assume responsibility for department when working alone.
- Act as a liaison to self-directed book clubs, assisting as needed with group communication and title selection.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Reads across multiple genres and enthusiastically shares suggestions with our users and staff.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Approaches work with the public with energy, creativity, and enthusiasm.
- Technologically literate and eager to learn library-specific tools, programs and digital resources.
- Demonstrates dedication to principles and practices of public library service.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Embraces change in work environment.
- Ability and commitment to communicate courteously and effectively with staff and patrons and provide patron services in person, by telephone or email.
- Respects privacy of individual users.
- Exercises considerable initiative and judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiastically collaborates on projects with a willingness to take direction and learn a variety of tasks.
- Good organizational skill
Education, Training & Experience:
Required: Bachelor's degree in science, education, or a degree related to this position.
Preferred: 2 Years experience in a public library, bookstore or other customer focused business. Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Complete applications online at our website: