About Our Job
About Our Job
The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Branch Supervisor for the Virginia Village Branch. In this position, you will supervise staff and oversee daily operations at the [branch name] where all are free to explore and connect. The ideal candidate must be committed to providing a welcoming environment for all customers with the ability to foster curiosity by promoting our services throughout the community, especially among youth and our underserved populations. This person must make it a priority to connect with our customers, and build relationships while providing access to our collection and our space in an equitable manner. This person must be able to demonstrate accountability to members of the communities we serve as a good steward of our resources in a way that reflects our values and commitment to support the needs of a diverse community.
- Bilingual or Multilingual skills preferred
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
- Ability to oversee building and grounds maintenance to ensure a welcoming environment for customers and staff at the branch location.
- Ability to coordinate and implement emergency preparedness standards to ensure a welcoming environment for customers and staff at the branch location.
- Ability to interpret and communicate library policies to staff and customers.
- Ability to calmly listen and respond to customers' complaints and emergency situations.
- Ability to keep track of the branch budget in alignment with library strategic objectives and values.
- Ability to steward all branch activities through scheduling and assigning work to ensure branch service needs are met.
- Ability to support organizational goals to maintain morale, to coach staff, and implement progressive discipline if necessary.
- Ability to evaluate staff, set goals and priorities to help staff reach a targeted outcome.
- Ability to work extended hours, including some nights and weekends.
- Ability to demonstrate innovation and flexibility.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities, prioritize and set boundaries.
- Ability to use extensive workplace and other technology including email, internet, databases, eMedia, social media, and other software, with ability to work in a virtual environment.
- Ability to recruit, train, connect, motivate, and retain an equitably diverse team that is reflective of the community.
- Ability to creatively problem-solve, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and trauma-informed skills, positive attitude, cultural sensitivity, and sense of humor in working with customers of all ages and backgrounds, coworkers, and community.
- Skill in providing strong, dedicated, inclusive, and compassionate leadership.
- Skills in providing programming, reference, and advisory services to all ages.
- Knowledge of popular materials and resources for all ages and of current trends in library programming.
- Experience in presenting and providing library services to customers of varying levels of knowledge and experience.
- Education Requirement: Master’s Degree in Library Science.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of supervisory experience in a retail or public service operational setting, or three (3) years of professional library experience.
- Education and Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- License/Certification Requirement: By position, requires a valid driver's license at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
A COVER LETTER AND RESUME IS REQUIRED. COVERLETTERS/RESUMES WILL BE REVIEWED AS THEY ARE RECEIVED.PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER/RESUME/APPLICATION BY END OF DAY ON NOVEMBER 13, 2023.
About Everything Else
LA3325 Library Branch Supervisor
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Library Hiring Range
$68,905.00 - $91,299.00
$68,905 - $91,299
Denver Public Library
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
About Our Branch
Serving Virginia Village, Virginia Vale, Cook Park, Glendale and more, Virginia Village Branch Library is in an accessible location close to the thriving business community that borders Colorado Boulevard with its densely populated high-rises and businesses. It is also adjacent to neighborhoods that offer relatively inexpensive living considering their proximity to downtown. We are a convenient neighborhood drop off and pick up location and get much business as our customers traverse the city from work to home. We are committed to serving our community whether it is through our very popular programs for young children and families like story time or through the reference, advisory, and outreach services that we offer. We actively welcome all to our library and are committed to serving our community.
External Job Ad