Purpose: The Customer Experience Associate I performs customer service duties, assisting customers with self- directed activities, locating library materials, using the catalog, circulation assistance, and merchandising materials. This role serves as a first point of contact for customers and provides excellent customer service by actively building connections with guests and proactively serving a diverse population using our CARE service model.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
90% Customer Service
- Greets customers as they arrive at the library, supporting DCL’s mission of providing customers with a consistent, exceptional experience. Demonstrates tact, professionalism, and hospitality in all guest interactions.
- Takes ownership of the customer experience by consistently making connections and building relationships, offering premium and personalized service, and seeking shared solutions with both internal and external customers.
- Presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications, and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
- Provides directional assistance to customers.
- Proficiently performs circulation functions including login, check-in, check-out, placing holds and trace functions, collecting fines, customer registration, and issuing library cards. Adept at opening and closing procedures, and procedures that support branch operations on the floor and in the Call Center.
- Provides basic technical assistance to customers utilizing DCL equipment.
- Connects customers with library services and community resources as opportunities arise.
- Provides proactive solutions to questions, offers guidance to access additional resources, and makes recommendations for further reading and viewing material.
- Assists in the delivery of branch activities, events, and programs.
- May, under guidance of the Youth and Family Services supervisor, be asked to perform storytimes using the ALA Every Child Ready to Read early literacy skills.
- Maintains the merchandising and hand-selling of library materials.
- Performs seamless customer handoffs in situations where advanced service is needed.
- Demonstrates teamwork and collaboration with co-workers, staff, and volunteers.
- Self-motivated, professional, outgoing, and engaging with customers, volunteers, and vendors.
- Ability to work a varied schedule to include nights and weekends.
- Stays abreast of branch and DCL updates by reading emails, meeting minutes, message boards and attending department and branch meetings as assigned.
- Stays current on DCL policies, processes, procedures and technologies required to perform work duties.
- Promotes DCL’s culture of safety by following library safety guidelines and rules. Practices effective personal and branch safety.
- Engages in the DCL performance feedback system and completes the expectations outlined by your supervisor and department/division.
- Maintains knowledge and use of computers, Microsoft Office Products, and DCL software and platforms.
- Learns, uses and applies industry and organization-specific technology as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Douglas County Libraries (DCL) is a Colorado PERA Member Employer, so you will be enrolled in Colorado PERA. For details on member benefits go to www.copera.org
Elective DCL benefits include:
- Health Care Plans: medical, dental & vision
- Voluntary Plans: Accident, Critical Illness, Short Term, and Long Term Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- 401k & 457 plans (through CO PERA)
- Legal-ID Shield
Additional DCL benefits include:
- Holiday Pay
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness time off
- Leaves of Absence for Qualifying Events
*Benefits are subject to change
Additional Info & Requirements
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and utilization of online platforms and websites
- One year customer service or volunteer experience
Physical Requirements: Must have a reliable method of transportation between all DCL locations. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to support a 7-day a week operation. Work at computer work-stations repetitively and for extended periods. Ability to read as small as 8pt font.
One DCL Commitment: It is an expectation of each employee that you will exemplify Douglas County Libraries Brand, Culture and Values of welcoming to all, continual growth and authentic relationships.