City of Littleton
6014 S Datura St, Littleton, CO
The Bemis Library has an opening for a Substitute Circulation Services Clerk to work variable hours including weekdays, evenings, and weekends. This position serves as part of a substitute pool and allows for flexible scheduling. This is a year-round position that allows the employee to select shifts in advance as well as last-minute.
The Substitute Circulation Services Clerk provides extraordinary customer service to library patrons. They are often the first point of contact for library patrons and are responsible for creating a positive initial impression of the library, resolving questions and issues regarding patron accounts, and providing general information about the library. This position is responsible for the efficient and accurate circulation of library materials, which includes the checking in and out of library materials, acquiring and processing reserved items for patrons, arranging library materials on shelving carts, and shelving library materials.
The ideal candidate is a quick learner who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and is not afraid to make mistakes. Exceptional candidates will have strong interpersonal skills, adaptability, an eye for detail, and the willingness and availability to work a variety of shifts. We believe strongly in supporting our staff members in learning and growing professionally and the Substitute Circulation Services Clerk position is a great opportunity to get immersed in library work and become a part of the Bemis Library team.
Work Schedule: This position will be expected to work variable shifts on weekdays, evenings, and weekends. A typical shift is 5 to 8 hours. Subs are expected to work multiple shifts per month. Successful candidates are expected to schedule 20 hours of training/shadowing during their first 2 weeks.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified or the position is filled, but preference will be given to complete applications received by 11/12/23. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates sincere desire to assist patrons. Checks out library materials to patrons according to established written procedures.
- Answer phones and transfers phone calls to appropriate personnel and/or department.
- Registers patrons for library cards by verifying identification and entering into the integrated library system.
- Collects and deposits fines for damaged, and lost library materials from library patrons. Updates balance on patron account.
- Contacts patrons regarding damaged or missing library items.
- Resolves problems with patron accounts and explains policies for patrons in a way that is easily understood.
- Shelves materials accurately and within expected timeframe.
- Ensures displays of library materials are maintained appropriately.
- Retrieves library materials from automated sorter bins and arranges them on appropriate carts in preparation for shelving.
- Monitors the physical condition of the library collection by visually inspecting materials during sorting and shelving; shelves library materials; shifts collection as needed; visually scans shelved materials to maintain the integrity, continuity, and usefulness of the collection.
- Manually checks in library materials when needed.
- Processes reserved items by removing expired reserved items from the hold shelf, generating daily hold reports, locating patrons’ reserved items, and shelving reserved items on the hold shelf.
- Processes and mails overdue and billing statements.
- Processes books for courier to deliver to other libraries.
- Sells tickets, used books, and other items for the FOLM when needed.
- Performs other related assignments and projects as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent; and one (1) year of public library experience or two (2) years of customer service experience in a retail environment; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Bilingual skills and ability to speak, read and/or write fluently in both English and Spanish.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- General knowledge of the principles of filing library materials according to the Dewey Decimal System. Intermediate/general knowledge of general library principles and procedures.
- General knowledge of Colorado Patron Privacy law and ALA Code of Ethics.
- General knowledge and skills using an integrated library system.
- Intermediate knowledge of computer operation, basic skills in computer operation, and the ability to access and retrieve needed information using the computer.
- Ability to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with patrons and staff members who request information and services and deescalate situations when appropriate.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Work for this position is performed indoors in a public building environment. This work involves exposure to dust accumulated on books and shelves.
- Work is performed while walking, sitting and standing.
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 45 pounds with or without assistance, frequent pushing and pulling of wheeled book carts weighing up to 100 pounds, working with 2-3 pound items at or above shoulder height. Also requires frequent kneeling, bending, crouching, stooping, reaching, and gripping.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Personal computer with public access, on-line computer catalog, Microsoft Office 365, Sierra Integrated Library System, telephone, voicemail, automated materials sorter, electronic laser scanner, electronic cash register, DVD case locking system, photocopy machine, and wheeled book cart.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Littleton is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and intends to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other non-job related characteristic, and to hire and retain the best-qualified individuals without regard to any of these factors. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on a protected class.
The City of Littleton will consider reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process and employment. Applicants and employees can request an accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 303-795-3857 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace
The City of Littleton is committed to the health and safety of all its employees. To ensure a safe and productive work environment the city prohibits the use, sale, dispensation, manufacture, distribution or possession of alcohol, drugs, controlled substances or drug paraphernalia on any city premises or worksites. No employee shall report to work or be at work with alcohol or with any detectable amount of prohibited drugs in the employee's system. A detectable amount refers to the standards generally used in workplace drug & alcohol testing. This prohibition specifically includes marijuana, and decriminalized psychedelics whether used for medical purposes or obtained legally under state law.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay range $16 - $17.50 per hour
This substitute position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. This position is not eligible for benefits other than sick leave. For more information, please see the 2023 Benefit Guide.
For jobs with the City of Littleton, please visit: https://careers.littletongov.org