Pines & Plains Libraries
Pines & Plains Libraries Branch Manager Job Description
- Empowers colleagues and subordinates to create excellent service experiences.
- Adapts to the ever-changing needs and service expectations of our patrons.
- Positively collaborates with staff, administration, stakeholders, and patrons.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hires, fires, disciplines, and rewards subordinates.
- Communicates professionally with staff, patrons, and the general public.
- Coaches, evaluates, and corrects staff work behavior under the guidance of the Director.
- Collaborates with Library Service Lead and Activity Service Guides to ensure service coverage and service excellence.
- Executes district policies and procedures within the branch.
- Supervises branch staff to ensure high quality of service and work.
- Prepares and coordinates staff work schedules with assistance of the Library Service Lead.
- Reviews staff time sheets.
- Provides a high degree of library skills training to staff.
- Supports and enables staff participation in professional development.
Administration and Management
- Executes administrative decisions and policies.
- Enacts strategic objectives.
- Delegates work to Library Service Lead and Library Service Technicians as needed.
- Contributes productive input regarding new initiatives.
- Assists in enacting positive, effective change at the branch and district levels.
- Interprets District policies fairly and equitably.
- Develops and manages branch and district budgets as needed.
- Prepares and analyzes statistics reports.
- Conducts staff meetings.
- Helps coordinate and train staff at district meetings.
- Maintains a safe and productive library environment.
- Oversees the optimization of branch layout, merchandizing, and displays.
- Purchases branch materials and supplies.
- Submits accurate records of all financial transactions to the District.
- Develops and maintains rapport with staff, colleagues, and administration.
- Creates/updates a responsive branch collection development plan.
- Considers existing library collections, patron requests, current reviews, and local needs for acquisitions.
- Maintains a dynamic, current collection through statistical analysis and weeding.
- Garners the Library Service Lead’s assistance in these tasks, as needed.
Programs and Outreach
- Assists the Activity Service Guide(s) in facilitating and staffing activities.
- Actively pursues productive community connections.
- Stays aware of local community issues and trends.
- Markets branch services activities.
- Works with the Friends of the Library.
- Engages in professional and leadership development.
- Remains updated on developments in libraries as time allows.
- Participates in the Colorado and American library community.
Apply by 5 PM Mountain Time on November 22, 2023
Must complete the job application and include resume.
Essential Qualifications and Special Skills Required and Restrictions
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- MLIS preferred.
- Two to five years of library service experience.
- Two or more years of recent supervisory or management experience.
- Sales, customer service, or public service experience may supplement library experience, depending on the nature of previous positions.
Any comparable combination of experience and education, per the parameters above, may be acceptable.
- Demonstrates an ability to consistently provide excellent customer service for Materials, Programs, Outreach, Electronic, and Information Services.
- Works with Library Service Lead to ensure consistent, exemplary service among branch staff.
- Uses Microsoft Office, Google Drive, or comparable software suites, well.
- Creates files and enters data/information for spreadsheets, documents, presentations, et cetera.
- Learns and operates computer and mobile device software on an ongoing basis.
- Teaches both patrons and staff to use new technologies.
- Adapts to new technology.
- Navigates WordPress and/or social media.
- Ensures all staff can troubleshoot library and patron equipment on a basic level.
- Possesses the physical stamina to manage a branch facility.
- Able to stand on feet for prolonged periods of time, move around, stretch, bend over, kneel, and lift up to 25 pounds.
The town you'll be serving is beautiful and historic. It embodies the Pines and Plains of our district name with bands of Ponderosa Pines running through the middle of town. Elbert County is on the Palmer Divide and has a higher elevation and different weather patterns than the Denver Metro area. Elizabeth is the epicenter of Elbert County's growth, to the west and north, with several new developments expanding daily. Elizabeth's historic Main Street hosts small boutiques, antique stores, and a killer brewery. The Elizabeth library, situated near the Elizabeth commercial center, is in a former warehouse, providing the opportunity for expansion. The Pines & Plains Libraries are currently undergoing a Community Needs Assessment to provide guidance for the district's future.