About Our Job
The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Part Time (20 hour) Hourly Librarian for the Westwood Branch. In this position, you will serve the community through programming, reference, technology assistance, readers’ advisory, and front line customer service. You will foster curiosity through the exploration of recreational and educational resources for all audiences in multiple formats. You can expect to challenge inequity by creating welcoming spaces that foster belonging for all, and by providing technology resources and assistance. Additionally, as a DPL employee you will strengthen connections among staff and community by gathering together to discover creative ways to serve the community. You’ll be expected to honor the public trust by providing the highest level of service and equitable access to reliable information resources on a variety of topics, including the full scope of library services. This position does not have any direct reports though it may occasionally entail being the person in charge or guiding other staff in the absence of management.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Strong Spanish Language Skills are highly preferred.
- We ask that you be willing to take the library outside of its walls by performing outreach activities in the community.
- You will also need to be able to approach challenging situations with empathy, compassion and informed judgment while keeping in mind library use policies and safety of all customers and staff.
- Provide a high level of customer service while assisting in circulation tasks in a busy environment with consistent public exposure.
- The ideal candidate will be able to meet customers where they are with a compassionate and trauma informed lens in particular [teens, people experiencing homelessness, older adults, other]
- We’re looking for someone to plan fun, engaging, and developmentally appropriate early learning programming for children from birth to kindergarten and their adult caregivers. Programming will implement Every Child Ready to Read practices and books and materials that represent a diverse range of characters, identities and experiences. (Spanish Language Skills preferred)
- You will need knowledge of collection maintenance practices and a willingness to regularly audit and update branch or department’s collection for all audiences as well as create captivating displays.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
- Ability to create and implement innovative services that sparks curiosity. (Spanish Language Skills Preferred)
- Skill in providing information to a vastly diverse audience, leading with cultural humility
- Lived experience within the Westwood community and/or the community-building skills to build strong ties with the customers and organizations within it.
- Knowledge of the core values of librarianship, including: intellectual freedom, privacy, democracy, diversity, sustainability, serving the public good, access to information for all, and library advocacy.
Education requirement: Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program.
Experience Requirement: One (1) of experience solving problems and providing customer service to business or public clients.
Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
Spanish Language Skills: HIGHLY Preferred
- Currently, the hours of the branch are Tuesday - Friday 10 am - 6pm. The Westwood Brach will be expanding hours in the fall. You can expect to work the hours the branch is open including [evenings, weekends, etc}
- The hiring pay range is listed as an annual salary; however, this is an hourly paid position.
- Please submit an application/resume by the end of day on Friday, November 17th in order to be considered
About Everything Else
LA2451 Librarian Hourly
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Library Hiring Range
$50,647.00 - $67,107.00
$50,647 - $67,107
Denver Public Library
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
This is an hourly position.
Additional Info & Requirements
Spanish language skills are highly preferred.
The Westwood Branch Library is located within the Westwood Community Center. While we are the smallest Denver library, we are proud to offer dedicated customer service, in English and Spanish, to our diverse community. Much of our work involves outreach to the community, meeting our customers where they are. We, also, serve as a hub for the Westwood community’s technology needs.