The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Full Time 40 HR Librarian for the Ross-Barnum Branch Library. In this position, you will serve the community through programming, reference, technology assistance, readers’ advisory, and front line customer service. You will foster curiosity through the exploration of recreational and educational resources for all audiences in multiple formats. You can expect to challenge inequity by creating welcoming spaces that foster belonging for all, and by providing technology resources and assistance.
Additionally, as a DPL employee you will strengthen connections among staff and community by gathering together to discover creative ways to serve the community. You’ll be expected to honor the public trust by providing the highest level of service and equitable access to reliable information resources on a variety of topics, including the full scope of library services. This position does not have any direct reports though it may occasionally entail being the person in charge or guiding other staff in the absence of management.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Developing, planning, promoting and implementing culturally inclusive and responsive programming for youth, teens, adults, and older adults. This will include story times.
- A demonstrated commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
- Experience with reference services, programming, trauma-informed practices, and customer service.
- Ability to create and implement innovative services that sparks curiosity.
- Skill in providing information to a diverse audience, leading with cultural humility.
- Community-building skills to build strong ties with the customers and organizations within the branch community.
- Knowledge of the core values of librarianship, including: intellectual freedom, privacy, democracy, diversity, sustainability, serving the public good, access to information for all, and library advocacy.
Education requirement: Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program.
Experience Requirement: One (1) year of experience solving problems and providing customer service to business or public clients.
Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
Second Language Fluency is strongly preferred (Vietnamese or Spanish)
Cover Letter is required for this position.
Other Info to know:
Please submit an application by the 11/17/2023 deadline in order to be considered.
Employees may be asked to work at any of our locations due to emergency situations, fill leaves/vacancies, operational needs, etc.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
About Our Branch
The Ross-Barnum Branch Library is an urban, multicultural, intergenerational branch of the Denver Public Library. Our team is bilingual, supportive, friendly, collaborative with a sense of humor. This 1950s branch will undergo a future remodel to better serve the surrounding community.