City of Aurora, Library & Cultural Services
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Locations will vary at Bookmobile stops. Position will be housed at Hoffman Library (1298 Peoria St., Aurora, CO 80011)
The Hiring Range for this position is $20.0406 - $25.05075/hourly
The Salary Range for this position is $20.0406 - $31.31344/hourly
The Library and Cultural Services Departments vision is to empower an environment of lifelong learning and cultural enrichment by stimulating learning and literacy, inspiring creativity, and integrating arts, culture and history into the lives of Aurora citizens. We have two divisions within the department: Library and Cultural Services, both offering a variety of free programs and services to the community. Please go to www.auroralibrary.org to learn more about the Aurora Public Library.
Library Services Summary
- 7 locations
- Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines
- Database and language learning programs
- Public computers
- Study space
- Printing, faxing and scanning services
- Community events, programs, and activities for all ages
Cultural Services Summary
- Aurora History Museum and Historic Sites
- Aurora Fox Arts Center -Theater
- Bicentennial Arts Center
- Art in Public Places collection (over 240 commissioned pieces around the city)
The individual in this position must provide the highest level of customer service assisting library customers with circulation services, account help, finding library resources, answering general questions, and providing basic technology assistance. Strong customer service skills, attention to detail, genuine interest in helping people from a diverse community of all ages and a friendly outgoing demeanor are essential for success in this position.
Locations: Will work primarily at various locations with the Bookmobile. The position will be housed at Hoffman Library. Location may change based on business need. May be required to occasionally to substitute at another Aurora Library location based on staffing needs.
Hoffman Library (1298 Peoria St., Aurora, CO 80011)
Primary hours will include days, nights, and weekends. Hours are subject to change dependent upon department needs.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first come-first serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- On a regular basis, drives the Bookmobile to scheduled stops
- Maintains and organizes the Bookmobile materials and collection
- Assists in maintaining Bookmobile requests, programs, table events, and requests of the library in a variety of community events
- Prepares library education materials, identifies and links members of the community to library resources and services
- Supports the library system with assistance and collaboration in system-wide engagement activities and programs
- Provide logistical and planning support for system wide events and ceremonies
- Serve as a liaison connecting the community to the library for internal and external events
- Performs additional duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & WORKING CONDITIONS
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements on a year for year basis
- Bachelor's Degree in library science or a related field
- 1 year of customer service or library experience
- Experience within a library system is a plus
- 1-2 years of experience in community engagement working with diverse populations
- Experience and comfort driving a large vehicle- no CDL required
- Experience in event support, and/or community relations and/or development programs.
- Experience in a position requiring interpersonal skills to foster and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, sponsors, volunteers, community leaders and City Officials.
- Customer service techniques
- Routine software/computer systems including the internet
- Email, word processing, spreadsheets, database input/use
- Inventory/customer transaction systems
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally appropriate manner
- Energetic, innovative problem-solver with an eye for details and logistics
- Deadline-driven multi-tasker with the ability to ensure projects are accurate and timely
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Use general office equipment, computers, and copy
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Flexibility to work various shifts, including early mornings, nights, and weekends
- High sense of initiative and creativity
- Ability to speak a second language a plus.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Driver’s License with an excellent driving record.
- This position will need to pass a background check to be eligible to access Buckley Space Force Base.
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel
- Primarily moderate to very active physical work requiring ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds without assistance.
- Frequent lifting, carrying, walking, standing, loading and unloading materials.
- Frequent pulling, pushing, bending, and stooping.
- Frequent hand/eye coordination for operation of office equipment, computer systems, carts, and moveable shelving.
- Vision for reading and interpreting reports and data analysis and preparation.
- Vision and hand/eye coordination to operate large vehicles such as the Bookmobile and Cargo Van.
- Frequent speech communication, hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens.
- Works primarily on the Bookmobile traveling to various stops.
- Work may be outdoors and occasionally in extreme weather conditions.
- Shift work to include early mornings, days, nights, working weekends and occasional holidays.
- Uses standard office equipment including personal computer and common office software such as email, internet, Word, Excel and menu driven databases as a part of the Library automated systems.
- Occasional use of basic repair tools (i.e. hammers, screwdrivers, etc.)
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.