This position is located at the Headquarters library and provides excellent reference service and readers' advisory in youth literature. Develops and presents innovative and dynamic programs for youth from birth through grade 12. May act as Team Lead on a regular basis in the absence of the manager. Works with other YS Librarians II under the direction of the Division Manager for Programs to plan and implement new services and programs for youth. May be assigned system-wide responsibilities such as grant management, new service development, or ordering materials.
• Supervises, hires, trains, evaluates and schedules Youth Services staff within the assigned branch or within the system to ensure policies and procedures are followed, customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance, and pleasant working conditions are maintained.
• Ensures the development, implementation, and evaluation of a dynamic and robust schedule of age-appropriate programs at library locations and for outreach programs. Develops plans for Youth Services programming to ensure adequate number of programs for children and their caregivers are provided and effectively promotes programs using system resources.
• Aids customers at service points by assisting with information requests and readers’ advisory. Assists customers with technology questions as needed.
• Oversees Youth Services collection development including print and electronic materials under the direction of the Division Manager for Collection Development, or Branch Manager. Deselects obsolete and worn materials; makes recommendations for replacement materials and may contribute to system wide collection development areas, including responsibility for expending a designated portion of Youth Services materials budget.
• Promotes library Youth Services and programs through, but not limited to public outreach such as informational fairs, school and/or childcare center visits, and writing occasional articles as requested, and working collaboratively with agencies serving youth
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Cumberland County offers a generous benefit plan including a Government Retirement Plan, 13 paid holidays per year and an Employee Wellness Center Clinic. To see more information about the benefits offered to employees look here
Additional Info & Requirements
Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
Cumberland County Human Resources Department, Amanda Turnmire (910) 323-6101