This position plays a vital role in helping the Albany County Public Library strategically address the diverse needs of adults in Albany County. Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Adult Services Librarian oversees all programs and collections for adults, but takes a hands-on role in the Adult non-fiction collection and work, health, and education programming. This position requires an understanding of the needs in Albany County and an ability to connect library patrons to resources that will help address those needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Partnerships & Programming
- Cultivate program partnerships and implement the programs outlined in the Wyoming Library Multi-Purpose Community Facility Program Grant that support workforce development, education opportunities, and health monitoring.
- Collaborate with the Deputy Director in implementing adult programming in line with the strategic plan of the organization.
- Collaborate with the Library Director in developing partnerships and collaborative programming with other organizations in Albany County.
- Plan, prepare, and present programs for Albany County with help and input from fellow staff and community partners.
- Purchase, organize, and maintain adult programming materials.
- Represent the library at community events such as parades, Farmer’s Markets, etc.
- Collaborate on the planning and implementation of the summer reading program.
- Promote and maintain adult collection areas through displays, weeding, and other methods along with purchasing new materials within budget.
- Selects for ACPL adult collections and assigns sections for selection of the adult collection to support staff.
- Works scheduled hours at the library’s main service desk and substitute for other staff as needed. May work scheduled hours on the Bookmobile.
- Provides reader’s advisory services to patrons of all ages.
- Maintains proficiency with library technology and equipment, including troubleshooting problems and light maintenance of library equipment (printers, copier, and microfilm reader).
- Maintains patron privacy and other library values and advocates for intellectual freedom and freedom of access issues.
- Supervise Adult Services Specialist and other assigned staff.
- May direct work of volunteers, including court-ordered community service workers.
- Assist in managing the library’s web page and social media presence.
- Collaborate with Deputy Director in identifying marketing and promotion strategies specific to adult programs.
- Submit monthly reports and event statistics.
- Participate in library meetings and committees, attend continuing education training, seek opportunities to learn new things, keep skills up-to-date, growing and follow current trends in adult services.
- Coordinates with Deputy Director in monitoring budgets for programming and materials. May seek additional funding for services through grant funding when appropriate, in coordination with the Library Director and ACPL Foundation.
- Will attain proficiency in basic circulation functions in order to provide backup for circulation desk, along with using cash register with accuracy and proficiency
- Is committed to public service values: works well with and is patient and helpful with all patrons, volunteers, and other staff members
- Utilize Wyoming State Library WYLD competencies for library staff: https://library.wyo.gov/wyld/network/groups/training/general/
- Other duties as assigned
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Salary & Benefits
- This is a salaried position. The salary is $50,000
- This is a full-time, benefitted position. Benefit package includes: medical insurance paid by employer; life, dental, and vision paid by employer; and required statewide retirement plan.
Additional Info & Requirements
- Education in Library Science, Human Services, or Social Work
- Experience providing community education in one-on-one or group settings
- At least three years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to demonstrate practical commitment to equity and inclusivity in services and programming
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Accountability: Acts decisively, shows transparency and assumes responsibility for making critical decisions; seeks to correct and learn from mistakes; solves problems in a thorough, yet timely manner; possesses the ability to work under tight deadlines and changing circumstances; works calmly through difficult tasks.
- Adaptability: Responds effectively to changes in direction; accepts new challenges and responsibilities; maintains a level head during difficult situations; shows foresight by anticipating problems and opportunities; accepts and learns new technologies.
- Communication: Presents information in a form that is understandable and accurate; listens actively; takes into account different audiences; builds strong work relationships with courtesy, sensitivity, trust, and respect.
- Library Ethics: Understands and acts in accordance with the values and ethics of library service, including the Library Bill of Rights, confidentiality of library records and privacy issues; distinguishes between personal convictions and professional duties by not allowing personal beliefs to interfere with providing equitable library services to all patrons.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Values diverse cultures and beliefs; effectively builds relationships based on understanding of personality types; inspires individuals to succeed; maintains a positive attitude; accepts input and help from others; able to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Required background check for final candidate.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and be able to meet the driver policy requirements. Documentation will be required for the final candidate.
- Expected to work 40 hours per week. Weekend and evening hours are required.
External Job Ad