Lawrence Public Library is seeking someone who is passionate about making information accessible to the people of our community. If you love helping others and making a difference in people’s lives, this job is for you. The successful candidate will work with the library’s Information Services department, helping people conduct research, connect to community resources, and pursue their lifelong learning goals.
Lawrence Public Library embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in its mission, hiring, and operations. The library actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance our mission to be a diverse, equitable, and antiracist organization. Lawrence Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Here’s what we’ll need you to do/be:
- Staff the public service desk, and also answer questions by phone, email, or online chat.
- Help people navigate our catalog, databases, and collections.
- Do some shelving, and help us promote the nonfiction collection and other information resources through displays, reviews, and programs.
- Work together with other staff to plan and develop programs that meet the information needs of adults.
- Use social media to share information throughout our community.
- Care deeply about great customer service and value the mission of public libraries.
- Love helping people find the answers to their questions (and know that Google isn’t the only place to look!).
- Be curious, creative, and always thinking about new ways to connect people to the information they need.
- Keep tabs on current events in our community.
- Have confidence with technology (knowing how to work e-readers, tablets, and other gadgets gets you bonus points).
- Be flexible and go with the flow.
- Welcome new ideas, new technologies, and new work practices.
- Embrace being a self-starter who doesn’t mind a busy atmosphere.
- Value teamwork and work well with others.
- Some college credits in the liberal arts or related fields
- Public service experience
- Proficiency with common office suite programs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Social media and/or graphic design savvy
- Availability to work evenings and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency in another language in addition to English
- Library experience
- Wednesday, 9:30-6
- Thursday, 11:30-8
- Friday, 9:30-6
- Saturday, 9:30-6
This is a full-time Assistant position and pays $18.70 an hour. This position is 32 hours a week and includes a generous benefits package. If this sounds like the job for you, please consider joining our team at the Lawrence Public Library by submitting a job application, resume, and cover letter. The application deadline is Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 5 p.m.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
Fully-benefited with paid time off, health insurance, and much more!
Lawrence Public Library is located in the heart of downtown Lawrence, Kansas, a quintessential Midwestern college town of 90,000 where you'll find both the University of Kansas and Haskell Indian Nations University. We pride ourselves on being a little quirky. We are known for our main street packed with locally-owned boutiques, chef-owned restaurants, live music, and a vibrant art scene as well as our fiery Civil War history and our free state status. We are warm and welcome and love celebrating each other.
External Job Ad