About Our Job
Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a full time Library Programming Associate for the Westwood Branch. In this position, you will create positive experiences for library customers by providing programming and outreach designed to educate and promote library usage to a wide variety of audiences. Provide superior trauma-informed customer service while demonstrating integrity and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and stewardship. Collaborate with colleagues to ensure high-quality customer service, programming, community engagement, and outreach. Plan, design, implement, and evaluate programs and events on a regular basis. Build and maintain community partnerships. Communicate effectively about issues and initiatives with customers, staff, and administration. Participate in relevant library committee work by leading meetings or contributing as a member. Provide storytimes and early learning programming. Work closely with the branch senior librarian and provide backup and support for programming planned and hosted by the library when needed. Support other library functions as needed.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Spanish Language Skills Highly preferred
- Ability to relate to the needs of customers of all ages and skill levels.
- Ability to listen to and evaluate community needs and design responsive services and programming, including the ability to facilitate group conversations.
- Skill in choosing appropriate materials for programming and outreach.
- Skill in presenting information to a diverse range of ages and cultures, individually and in groups.
- Knowledge of programming.
- Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with customers, staff and the community.
- Knowledge of presenting and providing library services to customers with varying levels of experience and knowledge.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Ability to demonstrate positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor in working with customers, coworkers and community.
- Ability to thrive working in an environment with constant public contact with people from all backgrounds and age groups.
- Skill in using, and assisting customers, with technology.
- Knowledge and experience with developing and presenting Storytime for young children as well as adult programming.
- Demonstrate a commitment to developing and maintaining a welcoming environment for young people, including babies, toddlers, preschoolers, grade schoolers, and teens.
- Ability to translate demographic and other information in order to understand the surrounding community.
- Excellent customer service skills (in the Spanish language preferred).
Education requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Library Science or a related field.
Experience Requirement: None
Education/Experience Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
Please submit an application/resume by end of day on 12/1/2023 to be considered for this position. Applications will be screened while job posting is open.
About Everything Else
LA2397 Library Program Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Library Hiring Range
$22.16 - $27.70
$22.16 - $27.70
Denver Public Library
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
About Our Branch
The Westwood Branch Library is located within the Westwood Community Center. While we are the smallest Denver library, we are proud to offer dedicated customer service, in English and Spanish, to our diverse community. Much of our work involves outreach to the community, meeting our customers where they are. We, also, serve as a hub for the Westwood community’s technology needs.