About Our Job
The Denver Public Library (DPL) is a growing urban library system that serves the residents of the City & County of Denver. DPL sees more than 4 million visitors every year across its 27 locations, serves Denver’s most vulnerable communities through outreach and mobile services, hosts thousands of programs a year and manages a collection of more than 1.4 million physical and digital materials. We believe a strong library is vital for a strong community. DPL is committed to serving the evolving needs of Denverites through inspired programming, diverse collections, culturally-representative spaces, and equitable policies & procedures.
For more information, go to denverlibrary.org. Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
DPL is hiring a Full Time Library Programming Associate for the Schlessman Family Branch. In this position, DPL’s Cultural Inclusivity Services (CI) team collaborates with Denver's multicultural community to create equitable opportunities for learning, discovery, and connection. Plaza, one of CI’s main programs, has been an important element of Denver Public Library programming for fifteen years, and takes place at ten library branches and online. Plaza creates inclusive spaces for people from all over the world to connect with resources and meet new people by offering low-barrier spaces for language practice, citizenship exam preparation, legal help, technical assistance, resource navigation, and more. All programs are free, family-friendly, and open to all.
In this position, you will lead programs in collaboration with a group of staff at multiple branches and work directly with library customers and help them reach their goals. You will work with a team across various Plaza locations, as well as with other library staff who work outside of Plaza running daily operations at their respective library branches.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Strong Arabic or Amharic language skills strongly preferred.
- Experience with Plaza programs at Denver Public Library.
- Experience planning and facilitating virtual meetings or programming.
- Experience multitasking in busy environments while demonstrating a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural awareness in working with customers, coworkers, volunteers and community.
- Ability to pass a background check after the offer to hire has been made.
- Ability to facilitate connections for new immigrants and refugees in a respectful manner.
- Ability to work as a part of a multicultural, multilingual team representing a variety of backgrounds, skills, and experiences.
- Ability to apply creative solutions to problems as part of a collaborative team effort.
- Skill in observing and responding to changing community trends.
- Familiarity with Google Suite software and the ability to embrace the challenge of learning new software and technology.
- Familiarity with at least one area of Denver, including neighborhood demographics, trends, needs of immigrant communities, local community organizations, and libraries.
Please submit an application/resume by end of day 12/1/2023. Applications will be reviewed while job posting is open.
About Everything Else
LA2397 Library Program Associate
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Library Hiring Range
$22.16 - $27.70
$22.16 - $27.70
Denver Public Library
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
About Our Branch
Schlessman Family Branch library is on the southeast side of Denver, and serves Lowry and the surrounding neighborhoods. We are a very busy branch with high circulation and an engaged community that visits often. We offer a variety of programs for all ages including Storytime, memory café and Plaza.
External Job Ad