Statement of Duties: Under the general supervision of the Coordinator of Children’s Services, the Children’s Librarian performs duties pertaining to children’s services, including patron assistance, planning and presentation of programs, and collection development. Duties include:
- Helps patrons select and locate materials
- Provides reference service to children, parents and teachers as well as readers advisory service
- Develops, plans, and conducts programs for infants, pre-school and school aged children, young adults, parents and other adults working with children which encourage reading and the use of library facilities and materials
- Keeps current regarding trends in youth services and issues affecting youth; attends meetings and participates in professional library organizations
- Conducts class tours, provides bibliographic instruction, gives book talks and reviews
- Assists in selecting children’s materials for the main library and branch libraries
- Develops and prepares bibliographies
- Supplies and develops content for the children’s portion of the webpage as well as maintaining webpage
- Plans and arranges displays
- Supervises paraprofessional and clerical staff
- Assumes responsibility for the department in the absence of the head of the department
- Performs additional related duties as required
Education & Experience: Applicant must have a Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school. Must also have knowledge of children’s and young adult literature and materials, including electronic resources; knowledge of current trends in library services to children and young adults; programming skills, ability to work with patrons of all ages; ability to interact effectively with library staff; ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing; working knowledge of computer applications for library services including word processing and spreadsheets.
Special Note: Applicants will be subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Negative findings may prevent applicant from being considered.
THE CITY OF WARWICK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Warwick is a city in Kent County, Rhode Island, the third largest city in the state with a population of 82,823 at the 2020 census. It is located approximately 12 miles south of downtown Providence, Rhode Island; 63 miles southwest of Boston, Massachusetts; and 171 miles northeast of New York City. Warwick was founded in 1642 by Samuel Gorton and is known as the second largest city in the state of Rhode Island. This city is known for its location near the salt-water beaches and the abundance of colonial history it has to offer.
City applications can be found at https://www.warwickri.gov/personnel-department/files/application-employment
Applications and Resume packets can be submitted at https://www.warwickri.gov/personnel-department/links/submit-application-or-resume