City of Brentwood
Brentwood, TN, United States
Seeking candidates for 2 Part-Time Librarian positions at the John P. Holt Brentwood Library, Brentwood, TN
The City of Brentwood is currently seeking to fill two part-time positions with customer service-minded professionals to join its team as a Reference Librarian and Children’s Librarian at the John P. Holt Brentwood Library.
The part-time Librarian is responsible for assisting Library patrons, collection development, and user instruction to the community as part of the library services team. This is a part-time position that could include responsibilities as the Librarian in Charge on weekends as well as some weekdays. Schedule is a minimum of 20 hours weekly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides professional services and support to patrons using knowledge of reference sources.
- Performs collection management activities based on knowledge of the community needs, usage levels, and relevance of materials.
- Assists in development, selection, acquisition, and weeding of the library’s physical and digital collections.
- Manages a material budget by following the City of Brentwood purchasing guidelines
- Keeps abreast of new titles and topics in literature and provides readers’ advisory services (in person and by phone) by recommending books and assisting readers in locating titles of interest using the library’s resources.
- Works with their respective team to plan, develop, and deliver library, reference, and electronic resources instruction and programs.
- Coordinates and participates on special projects, committees, and work groups as assigned; plans and attends special events promoting library resources and services.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a person with integrity that engages our patrons in lifelong learning.
- Has a positive attitude and respects diversity.
- Values lifelong learning and the opportunity to enrich others’ lives.
- Can work independently and as a team player.
- Is creative and can share their vision in a way that is engaging to others.
- Can intuitively apply knowledge of current and future community needs to the development of collections and digital library resources.
- Is a compassionate person who also has a sense of humor.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The hourly rate for this position is $24.34/hour.
Up to 5% salary increase after successful completion of six-month probationary period.
Additional Info & Requirements
ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library Science is required. Course work and/or experience in technology, electronic databases, and the internet required. Demonstrated ability to create/design web pages/tutorials and to quickly learn new technologies and skills strongly preferred. Familiarity with a broad range of electronic databases and electronic search strategies preferred. Familiarity with emerging information and web technologies preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
The John P. Holt Brentwood Library provides access to over 165,000 books and other materials, including audiobooks, DVDs, music CDs and online resources. With the mission of being a vibrant and engaging community center for lifelong learning and the arts, the Library continues to be an eclectic resource available to the City of Brentwood community. Situated in a beautiful park setting and bordered by a walking trail and arboretum, the John P. Holt Brentwood Library is known as the crown jewel of the City of Brentwood.