The Louisville Public Library celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment, where all employees are valued for their unique contributions.
The Louisville Public Library seeks a warm, enthusiastic, customer service orientated, and technologically savvy individual to work in our busy library. Under the general direction of the Youth Services Supervisor, this position performs paraprofessional librarian support duties on a scheduled and on-call basis. This position will have a primary area of focus in Youth Services, but will be scheduled on the children’s, teen, and adult services reference desks, as well as the circulation desk. This position provides assistance with reference, readers' advisory, instruction, and programming for children, teens, and adults. Performs other work as required. Schedule includes evenings and rotating weekend hours. This position will be scheduled for 8-15 hours per week, based on the needs of the library.
- Staffs public desks in Children’s, Teen, Adult, and Circulation divisions.
- Warmly greet and authentically welcome patrons by suggesting and locating information and resources that meet our community’s needs.
- Provide instructional assistance in the use of library-supported technologies and resources, including basic instruction in using new and emerging devices and digital resources.
- Create and maintain fun and visually appealing displays for library users.
- Checks in materials, processes holds, and prepares and edits patron accounts.
- Assume responsibility for department when working alone.
- May assist with planning and implementation of programs and large-scale library events.
- Performs other duties as required to provide excellent customer service and to ensure smooth operation of Public Services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Reads across multiple genres and enthusiastically shares suggestions with our users and staff.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Approaches work with the public with energy, creativity, and enthusiasm.
- Exhibits proficiency with technology.
- Demonstrates dedication to principles and practices of public library service.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Embraces change in work environment.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Respects privacy of individual users.
- Exercises considerable initiative and judgment.
Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or a relatable field preferred.
Experience in a public library, bookstore, or other retail customer focused business.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Complete applications online at our website: