Under the general supervision of Coordinator of Adult Services the Librarian I-Reference performs duties pertaining to adult services including patron assistance, planning and presentation of programs, and collection development. Duties Include:
- Answers in-person, telephone and e-mail questions and directs patrons conducting research using resources in multiple formats.
- Assists patrons and colleagues in teen services.
- Helps patrons locate and select materials.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory service by giving book talks and reviews.
- Plans, develops and conducts programs and services for adults, including computer classes.
- Participates in outreach programs and special outreach events.
- Engages in training, education and self-directed learning to keep current on trends in reference services.
- Attends meetings and participates in professional library organizations.
- Conducts class tours for middle and high school classes to provide bibliographic instruction.
- Evaluates and selects library materials in a variety of formats for adults and young adults.
- Evaluates and manages current collections by applying collection development methods and techniques.
- Selects materials for branch libraries.
- Coordinates the library’s interlibrary loan service.
- Develops and prepares bibliographies; and maintains various files and indexes.
- Develops and maintains content for the library’s webpage.
- Contributes content to social media such as Facebook, Instagram, the site formally known as Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Plans, arranges and sets up displays.
- Supervises paraprofessional and clerical staff.
- Assumes responsibility for the department in the absence of the department head.
- Performs other related duties.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
The City of Warwick offers a robust menu of employer provided benefits to include individual and family health and dental insurance; paid time off to include holidays, vacation, personal time and sick leave; pension, life insurance, and optional, supplemental retirement plans.
Additional Info & Requirements
Education & Experience: Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school; or a substantially equivalent combination of education, training, experience providing professional library services, and patron services. Preference may be given to applicants with experience in reference services and library service to adults.
Special Note: Applicants will be subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Negative findings may prevent applicant from being considered.
THE CITY OF WARWICK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Warwick is a city in Kent County, Rhode Island, the third largest city in the state with a population of 82,823 at the 2020 census. It is located approximately 12 miles south of downtown Providence, Rhode Island; 63 miles southwest of Boston, Massachusetts; and 171 miles northeast of New York City. Warwick was founded in 1642 by Samuel Gorton and is known as the second largest city in the state of Rhode Island. This city is known for its location near the salt-water beaches and the abundance of colonial history it has to offer.
Applications and resumes can be submitted at: https://www.warwickri.gov/personnel-department/webforms/submit-application-or-resume.