Southern Chaffee County Regional Library District (AKA Salida Regional Library)
Under direct supervision of the Library Director, the Bookmobile manager/Outreach Librarian provides library outreach services for the Southern Chaffee County community. This position plans and coordinates the operations and activities of the Salida Regional Library’s Bookmobile, oversees the accessibility of library materials and information to the community, VIA various stops and programming. When outreach duties are not scheduled, coordinator will work at the main library.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Benefits package includes: Medical Insurance for employee only, paid by employer; life, dental, and vision paid by employer; required statewide retirement plan, Paid Time Off accrual, and wellness stipend. Beginning pay DOE. Yearly pay increases standard.
Additional Info & Requirements
Duties and Responsibilities
● Important: Have a clear and defined understanding of collection management. Ability to explain theory, reasons, and processes pertaining to collection development.
● Maintains bookmobile collection areas through acquisitions, processing, weeding, and understanding what book mobile clientele want.
● Rotate the bookmobile inventory on a set schedule defined by observations and circulation reports.
● Sorts, shelves and files various library materials accurately according to library classification systems.
● Run circulation statistics reports on an as needed or requested basis.
Partnerships & Programming
● Collaborates with the Library Director in developing a vision, goals, and plans for bookmobile services in Southern Chaffee County.
● Collaborates with the Library Director in developing partnerships and collaborative programming with other organizations in Chaffee County (Salida and Poncha Springs area)
● Plan, prepare, and present programs for all ages with help and input from fellow staff and community partners.
● Purchases, organizes, and maintains outreach programming materials in an organized manner.
● Professionally represents the library at community events such as parades, Farmer’s Markets, school stops, etc.
Bookmobile and Outreach Services:
● Drive, operate, and ensure the proper maintenance and servicing of the Bookmobile.
● In collaboration with the library Director, creates and maintains the Bookmobile schedule; coordinates scheduled stops in accordance with community needs.
● Maintains a comfortable library atmosphere for all library users – keep all areas sharp, tidy, and free of distractions. Serve as an advocate for bookmobile and outreach patrons. Encourage adults to use library resources and participate in programs.
● Provides reader’s advisory services to patrons of all ages.
● Performs general circulation routine as appropriate: check in, check out, renewals, etc.
● Works scheduled hours on the Bookmobile and at the Main library (may be asked to act as a substitute for other staff as necessary).
● Maintains proficiency with library technology and equipment, including troubleshooting problems and light maintenance of library equipment (printers, laptops, hotspots, etc)
● Works with other library staff to conduct and market basic computer instruction for the public in the library or bookmobile.
● Maintains patron privacy and other library values, and advocates for intellectual freedom and freedom of access issues.
● Supervise Library Assistant (PT position – maybe seasonally) assigned to Outreach Services.
● Coordinate, with Library Director, scheduling to fulfill requirements of Bookmobile and Outreach services.
● Collaborate with library marketing staff and programming coordinator to add events to the master calendar and have marketing materials made in a timely manner.
● Collaborate with the Library Director in identifying ways to promote library bookmobile and delivery services.
● Submit monthly/quarterly reports and event statistics.
● Formulates an easily accessible and organized file system (physical or electronic) that includes all documents, contracts with partners, etc adhering to the state records retention policy.
● Participate in library meetings, seek opportunities to learn new things, keep skills and library resource knowledge up-to-date, and follow current trends in services for all ages.
● Coordinates with the Director in identifying and monitoring budgetary needs for programming and materials. May seek additional funding for services through grant funding when appropriate, in coordination with the Library Director.
● Ability to work closely with direct supervisor (Library Director), showing exceptional written and verbal communication skills, reporting, etc.
● Will show proficiency in basic circulation functions in order to provide backup for circulation desk with accuracy and proficiency
● Is committed to public service values: works well with and is patient and helpful with all patrons, volunteers, other staff members, and direct supervisor.
● Utilize Colorado State Library competencies for library staff: https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdelib/standards/index
● Other duties as assigned.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
● This is a salaried position. The salary is dependent on experience.
● This is a full-time, exempt, benefited position. Benefits package includes: Medical Insurance for employee only, paid by employer; life, dental, and vision paid by employer; required statewide retirement plan, Paid Time Off accrual, and wellness stipend.
Additional Info & Requirements
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A Master of Library Science or Education degree preferred; other degrees and relevant experience may be considered.
● Experience managing library collections – minimum 2 years.
● Two or more years of supervisory experience required.
● Experience designing and implementing public programming.
● Experience coordinating outreach services by identifying and understanding community needs.
● Ability to demonstrate practical commitment to equity and inclusive in services and programming
● Spanish speaking is preferred, but not required.
● Required background check for final candidate.
● Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s license and a clean driving record – no accidents or other major driving violations (Must be willing to sign a Colorado DR2559 Permission for Release of Driver Records, allowing the library to retrieve your driving record history).
● Expected to work 40 hours per week. Some weekend and evening hours may be required. Although there is some flexibility in the weekly schedule, a 40-hour schedule should be documented and shared with the supervisor.
● Ability to lift 40 pounds, as well as carry 40 pounds up and down stairs.
● Clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate effectively with the director, other employees, and library patrons.
● Accountability: Acts decisively, shows transparency and assumes responsibility for making critical decisions; seeks to correct and learn from mistakes; solves problems in a thorough, yet timely manner; possesses the ability to work under tight deadlines and changing circumstances; works calmly through difficult tasks; is extremely organized and does not wait until the last minute to plan and have materials acquired.
● Adaptability: Responds effectively to changes in direction; accepts new challenges and responsibilities; maintains a level head during difficult situations; shows foresight by anticipating problems and opportunities; accepts and learns new technologies.
● Communication: Presents information in a form that is understandable and accurate; listens actively; considers different audiences; builds strong work relationships with courtesy, sensitivity, trust, and respect. Communicates in a professional manner, refraining from engaging in any negative conversations and/or discussions about any co-workers. Ability to bring any issues directly to a supervisor or specific staff member involved.
● Library Ethics: Understands and acts in accordance with the values and ethics of library service, including the Library Bill of Rights, confidentiality of library records and privacy issues; distinguishes between personal convictions and professional duties by not allowing personal beliefs to interfere with providing equitable library services to all patrons.
● Interpersonal Effectiveness: Values diverse cultures and beliefs; effectively builds relationships based on the understanding of personality types; inspires individuals to succeed; maintains a positive attitude; accepts input and help from others; able to give and receive constructive feedback.
*Please note: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Meeting these posted qualifications does not necessarily guarantee an interview.
The Colorado mountain town of Salida sits in the middle of the state, literally in the "Heart of the Rockies," about 2 hours from Colorado Springs and 3 hours from Denver. Southern Chaffee County Library District's current population served is 10,000.
Susan Matthews, Director