Sno-Isle Libraries is recruiting for a Public Services Assistant I position in the Mill Creek Library!
Working at Sno-Isle Libraries
Public libraries are more useful—and exciting—than ever. Embark on a meaningful journey where your passion for learning, commitment to public service, and love for literature converge. Plus, you'll have access to all you can read books.
Every day is an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of over 800,000 residents across two counties. Your journey towards professional growth and community connection starts here! Our libraries are the gateway to things yet unimagined, and we want you to help create that experience for future generations.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, ensuring equitable access to opportunities for both personal and professional development. Join us in creating a library experience for our diverse communities, where your contributions play a pivotal role in building a more inclusive and connected future for everyone.
About the Opportunity
The Mill Creek Library is a small, but very busy library in a fast-growing part of Snohomish County. This position is full-time and will be working with a team of eight other Public Service Assistants, both full- and part-time. The schedule will be Monday through Thursday with rotating weekends including Sundays. The successful candidate may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs.
The Public Services Assistant I performs basic public service and library support tasks at one or more community libraries or Library on Wheels to contribute to their effective operation, providing library services, spaces, and resources that are representative of diverse cultures and perspectives, intentionally inclusive, and accessible to everyone.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by AFSCME Council 2.
Job Location: Mill Creek, WA
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Provide assistance at the library circulation desk, answer phones, check library materials in and out, register customers for library cards, and order various library materials.
- Assist customers with self-checkout machines and answer questions in the hold areas.
- Return library materials to proper locations and support circulation duties.
- Provide assistance to library customers with basic reference questions.
- Respond to technical services calls and assist with problems with the fax machines, public copiers, pay-for-print stations, vending machines, and printers.
- Submit and monitor technical reports for library technology service issues.
- Perform other public service and general clerical support tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of established practices and procedures for an integrated library system (ILS).
- Knowledge of library policies, procedures, and services.
- Knowledge of alpha and numeric systems for arranging library materials.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to uphold the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace and the community.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Ability to work independently and to set priorities.
- Ability to handle and resolve disruptive behavior effectively.
- Ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective interpersonal skills with others.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, electronic databases, email, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.
Education and Experience
Knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position can be acquired by a combination of experience and education including:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. required.
- These skills and abilities typically are acquired through completion of secondary school or equivalent together with several months in a customer service environment.
Benefits and Compensation
Pay Range: $19.92 - $27.40 hourly
Benefits: As a valued member of Sno-Isle Libraries, the person selected for this position is eligible for sick leave, vacation leave, paid holidays, comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement savings, life insurance, and flexible healthcare and day care spending accounts. For more information about these benefits, visit our Employment webpage.
How to Apply
Job posting closing date: February 23, 2024, 9:59 p.m.
Apply online: https://www.sno-isle.org/employment/
Sno-Isle Libraries is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Benefits & Additional Compensation Info
As a valued member of Sno-Isle Libraries, the person selected for this position is eligible for sick leave, vacation leave, paid holidays, comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement savings, life insurance, and flexible healthcare and day care spending accounts. For more information about these benefits, visit our Employment webpage.
Additional Info & Requirements
We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities, and value the variety of ideas, worldviews, and personal experience that our staff bring to their work. Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are foundational values of our work here at Sno-Isle Libraries. Learn more about how we serve and celebrate inclusive needs and perspectives on our equity page.
Sno-Isle Libraries is a large, two-county library district in the beautiful north Puget Sound region of Washington State. District boundaries stretch from rugged timberlands to suburban centers, from rolling farmlands to the ocean vistas. Set in the fastest-growing corner of the state, Sno-Isle Libraries serves more than 800,000 residents through 23 community libraries, online services, Library on Wheels, and our website at www.sno-isle.org.
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings