Imagine waking up in a small, scenic Colorado town, arriving at work, and spending your day in one of America’s multi-year Star libraries. The staff is exceptional, the visitors are friendly, and the air is fragrant from fresh baked Snickerdoodles. No, this is not a dream ---but this COULD be your dream job!
We’re seeking individuals to apply for La Veta Public Library’s open Director position. The Director is responsible for managing all Library operations and resources and for working with the Board on long range planning and policy development. The ideal candidate will be technology literate, an agile problem-solver, be able to get along with a community of diverse perspectives and be highly committed to the Library. Our selection will have a strong background in financial management and successful supervisory experience.
Additional Info & Requirements
Three years or more of progressively responsible public library experience, or at least five years in a service institution with comparable demands and responsibilities (i.e., staff supervision, working directly with the public, working with governing boards or bodies, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to combine administrative and people skills.
- Demonstrated visionary leadership to initiate, create, develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate services, collections, programs and technologies.
- Demonstrated love of learning and libraries.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information in spoken and written form, including presentation skills.
- Ability to work with community groups, governing boards, and elected officials, and make presentations to them.
- Knowledge of current trends and developments of public library philosophy, principles, and procedures which will allow effective recommendations to the Board and sound decision making when faced with a wide range of circumstances.
- Ability to direct, monitor and evaluate staff.
- Ability to work within a confidential environment.
- Ability to produce and maintain accurate files and reports.
- Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Sense of humor.
- Ability to organize, plan, and make sound decisions in a timely manner.
- Ability to adapt behavior to meet changing needs and persons.
Other duties as needed
La Veta Regional Library District is nestled at the foot of Colorado’s West Spanish Peak in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. The District, with a population of around 1500, is defined by the boundaries of the La Veta School District. There is a lively mix of political, religious and social groups from which comes an energetic group of library users. Well over 50% of residents have a college degree. The area has an economy based in agriculture, mixed with a thriving community of artists, relative newcomers, tourists and summer residents. Outdoor recreation opportunities are found nearby through proximity to the Spanish Peaks Wilderness area, local hiking trails, fishing, and skiing an easy two hours west.
Apply by sending your material to Sandy Messick via email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Professional references are not required for initial-stage applicants but will be required of finalists for the position. Should you have any procedural questions, please address those to Director Search via the above email or call 720-739-5818 and leave a message. Email is preferred. The application will be open until the position is filled.
To apply submit a non-form cover letter or other form of introduction and a professional resume. Please don’t start with “To Whom It May Concern.” Instead, tell us what it is about small and rural libraries that makes them special. Also, tell us about yourself as it relates to this job opportunity, including your favorite kind of cookie!