Kent Library - Southeast Missouri State University
The Catalog Librarian provides description of, discovery of and access to electronic and print library resources through creation of original bibliographic records for all library materials. Work includes cataloging of materials for the Library’s collections and Special Collections & Archives as well as retrospective projects. The catalog librarian ensures that titles are accurately described in the library management system (LMS) and other systems, such as OCLC, to facilitate discovery and access by university students, faculty and staff, guests and resource sharing partners.
The catalog librarian manages cataloging unit operations and supervises assigned staff. Unit operations include creation and maintenance of bibliographic, holdings and item records, prompt access to newly acquired resources and timely access and/or problem resolution. The librarian will provide leadership on cataloging unit workflow and improvements.
This position plays a key role in management of the LMS, authority work, and Southeast content in the MOBIUS union catalog. MOBIUS is a consortia of Missouri and Midwest libraries collaborating on licensing databases and other acquisitions and on resource sharing activities.
The catalog librarian must establish and maintain a personal development program consistent with the promotion and tenure criteria for librarian effectiveness, scholarly activity, professional development and service to the library, university and community.
- Maintain currency with national, regional and local cataloging policies, standards and practices
- Maintain and/or establish Southeast Missouri State University cataloging policies and procedures and serve as the local resource person regarding cataloging and metadata
- Create original cataloging for materials in the library collections, including Special Collections & Archives
- Manage the cataloging unit and supervise assigned staff
- Train copy cataloger(s)
- Participate in the library management system administration and provide leadership for cataloging functions
- Serve as library liaison to assigned University academic department(s); liaison activities include but are not limited to: instruction, research consultations, departmental outreach, creating and maintaining LibGuides™, collection resource review and collection development
- Share responsibility for working effectively with other MOBIUS libraries
- Serve on library, university and professional committees
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree
- Two years cataloging experience; academic library experience a plus
- Experience with Resource Description & Access (RDA), MARC 21 and Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH)
- Experience cataloging materials through a national bibliographic utility such as OCLC
- Ability to create original bibliographic records and familiarity with holdings records
- Experience cataloging a variety of bibliographic and physical formats
- Experience with one or more library classification systems; Library of Congress Classification or Dewey Decimal Classification a plus
- Experience with modifying/updating MARC records and complex copy cataloging practices
- Work, or familiarity, with name, subject and title authority work
- Skill in training copy catalogers
- Strong experience with a library management system (LMS); including an understanding of bibliographic, holdings and item records (Kent Library has an Innovative Sierra system)
- Knowledge of cross-walking Marc or non-Marc data and importing records into the LMS
- Ability to effectively lead and participate in projects; including project planning and establishing cataloging/metadata policies and procedures
- Evidence of effective communication skills
- Strong service orientation and flexibility
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well as a member of a group and individually
- Ability to meet Kent Library’s and Southeast Missouri State University’s tenure and promotion requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse work environment, including working with multi-cultural populations and an understanding of, and sensitivity to, issues affecting women and minorities
As a public regional university, Southeast Missouri State University seeks candidates with a commitment to excellent undergraduate and graduate education and student success within the framework of the teacher-scholar model. Successful candidates will contribute to the development of innovative curricula and delivery strategies, including traditional blended and online formats and participate in initiatives promoting student success, retention and degree completion. Applications of instructional technology and pedagogical research are supported through the Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning and Southeast Online.
Assistant or Associate Professor – Catalog Librarian
Full-Time, Tenure Track, 10 Month Position
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Library Information: Information about Kent Library can be found at http://library.semo.edu.
University Facts: Southeast Missouri State University is a comprehensive regional state university with five colleges, approximately 11,000 students, and a faculty and staff of approximately 1,100. Southeast is a moderately selective institution, offers baccalaureate, masters, and specialist degrees, and participates in joint doctoral programs with the University of Missouri. Cape Girardeau, a historic city overlooking the Mississippi River, is the hub of a thriving county with a population of approximately 78,000. Serving a region of more than 500,000 people, it is the largest center for retail, medical, manufacturing, communications, and cultural activities between St. Louis and Memphis.
Application Deadline: The position is available immediately, and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by October 5, 2018.
To Apply: Submit the following items online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com//semoedu/default.cfm?promotionaljobs=1
- Letter of interest specifically addressing the required position qualifications and the position responsibilities
- Current curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts required when offer of employment accepted)
- Name and contact information of three professional references