Under the general direction of the Public Services Manager, performs paraprofessional librarian support duties on an on-call basis. Provides assistance with reference, readers' advisory, instruction, programming for children, teens, and adults. Work is reviewed and evaluated by daily supervision and observation. Performs other work as required. Schedule will include evening and weekend hours.
This position will be scheduled for 6-12 hours per week, based on the needs of the Library.
Examples of Duties:
- Staffs public desks in Children's, Teen and Adult divisions.
- Assists patrons with identifying and locating materials (including print, audiovisual and electronic resources), readers' advisory, using computers, circulation services and answering reference questions according to department schedule.
- Provides individual instruction in search strategies and the use of electronic databases and information resources.
- Responds to telephone inquiries concerning department programs and services.
- May participate-in planning of programs.
- Assists with book displays and the creation of posters and flyers.
- Organizes, coordinates and presents story times or other types of programs as needed.
- Performs opening and closing duties as required.
- Attends staff meetings and training as required.
- Performs other duties as required to provide excellent customer service and to ensure smooth operation of Public Services.
- Must have two years of previous work experience in a public library.
- Must have two years of work experience in customer service;
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of acceptable training, education, and experience.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills
- Approaches work with energy, creativity, and - enthusiasm.
- Demonstrates dedication to the principles and practices of public library service.
- Possesses strong working knowledge of automated library systems and equipment.
- Demonstrates skill with various forms of technology-
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates ability to instruct adults and children in the use of the library's online catalog, electronic databases and programs.
- Plans and conducts library programs as needed.
- Respects the privacy of individual users.
- Exercises considerable initiative and judgment.
To see more details and to apply for the position, please visit: