An employee in this position is responsible for developing and cultivating community partnerships that increase the library's capacity to reach underserved populations. Works with senior managers to identify key groups and agencies that serve them to provide library services or information about services. Identifies community events and recommends library participation. Conducts agency visits to determine if library services will enhance or supplement their services and/or provides an information exchange. Facilitates new partnerships through intake and assessment process.
· Works closely with senior managers, adults and youth services division managers and community relations to extend library services to the community.
· Represents the library in the community by attending meetings, outreaches and events.
· Identifies underserved populations and the agencies which serve them.
· Provides intake feedback to senior managers and communicates program requests to appropriate division manager (e.g. computer skills training, story times).
· Monitors, evaluates and reports the effectiveness of outreach activities.
· Maintains a knowledge base of system wide activity and community contacts.
· Provides Friends of the Library members with opportunities to volunteer at outreach events.
· Assists all service areas in promotion of programs and services to outside agencies (e.g. delivering summer reading program materials to agencies serving children in the summer).
· Provides senior staff with leads to extend deposit collection service and delivers community engagement materials to agencies.
· Manages library staff participation in county campaigns (e.g. United Way, American Heart Walk) and other county department's system wide requests for library support (e.g. Board of Elections voter registration drives, blood drives).
· Develops presentations, training and programs for groups of various sizes.
· Communicates library awareness plan, its purpose and its value to the library staff.
· Works closely with the Learning & Innovation Coordinator to ensure that staff obtain skills for conducting outreaches.
· Presents annual update of outreach activities to Board of Trustees in coordination with supervisor.
· Submits monthly report to senior staff; provides photos of events for Board of Trustee monthly meetings.
· Serves on councils and committees as assigned
· Ensures a steady communication flow of library outreach activities, solicits ideas, and builds staff relationships
· Assists in the creation of publicity and public information:
· Helps develop content of promotional materials to enhance library awareness.
· Identifies needs for and coordinates materials to promote library resources.
· Provides social media updates on outreach activities to include agency visits, events.
· Keeps current with trends and issues in librarianship via professional reading and participation in library-related listservs, webinars, etc., attends professional, workshops, trainings, and conferences.
Additional Info & Requirements
Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
Librarian II/Library Awareness Coordinator #117000067
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
Human Resources / Job Listings
Ms. Cathy Woods at (910) 483-7727 extension 1325, fax: (910) 486-5372, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at (910) 678-7653;
Library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/content/employment-opportunities
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.