Cumberland County Public Library & Information Center
West Branch Library, Fayetteville N.C.
An employee in this position leads a community branch and is responsible for hiring, supervising, training, evaluating, and scheduling subordinate supervisors and branch staff to ensure customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance; and pleasant working conditions are maintained. Oversees all branch services and operations in accordance with policy and procedures, including Information Services, Youth Services, Circulation Services, and Paging. Ensures that safety and security are maintained for all staff and customers, and that the building and grounds remain safe and secure.
· Hires, supervises, trains, evaluates, and schedules branch staff to ensure policies and procedures are followed and library goals are met.
· Provides advanced reference and readers’ advisory services for customers in the public services areas.
· Oversees all branch services including Information Services, Youth Services, Circulation Services and Paging. Conducts regular staff meetings and ensures communication between departments and individuals.
· Ensures safety and security for all staff and customers and that the building and grounds are maintained. Works closely with branch Persons in Charge to ensure competency.
· Purges the collection of obsolete and/or worn materials. Reviews branch purchase requests from customers and reviews customer donations to determine which material is added to collection.
· May be given responsibility for materials selection for the library system as a whole. May be responsible for expending an assigned portion of the library collections budget.
· Identifies characteristics of the branch service area in order to recommend materials and to plan and present needed programs, services, and community outreach activities; in response to the changing needs of the community.
· Participates in task forces, committees, and other special projects as assigned; e.g. grant-writing.
· Maintains a well-organized, current branch collection by making recommendations for new and retrospective materials to the Division Manager for Collection Development & Technology Innovation.
· Participates in Public Service Managers’ and Directors’ Advisory Council Meetings monthly. Keeps staff informed of system wide initiatives; promotes library trends and new technologies to branch staff.
· Participates in budget preparation process by submitting recommendations for equipment, personnel and supplies.
· Maintains membership in N.C. Library Association. Participates in professional development opportunities to keep abreast of current library trends.
· Compiles, prepares, and maintains essential reports, records, and statistics. Ensures all staff report data in a timely manner. Submits monthly report to Director highlighting customer transactions and branch successes.
· Discusses with supervisor work methods, problems, and short and long-range developments and/or plans.
· Maintains a cooperative relationship between regional and community branches; schedules community staff to assist regional location during staff shortages.
· Represents the branch in the local community, seeking partnerships and building relationships with community groups.
Additional Info & Requirements
Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
Librarian III/Community Branch Manager #117000237
Experience as a trainer preferred
Trainee candidates must have at least 30 months (2 ½ years) experience as a MLS professional librarian in a public library and six months of library supervisory experience.
Cumberland County, located in the heart of North Carolina, offers a mixture of cultural diversity and southern hospitality. In addition to a dynamic award-winning library system, Winner of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, our area has a beautiful climate, cultural activities, dining and shopping, recreation, golf, and nightlife.
Cumberland County Human Resources Department, Reesa Eastman (910) 323-6101
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Contact Ms. Cathy Woods at (910) 483-7727 extension 1325, fax: (910) 486-5372, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at (910) 678-7653; Library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/