Graduate library assistants provide reference and informational services to a diverse clientele during weekend hours.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide reference and information services to library users in the building, and at distant locations by phone, e-mail, and chat reference.
2. Provide occasional library orientations.
3. Provide shared oversight of the library during duty hours, as necessary.
Other: Other duties as assigned.
Necessary for essential duties:
1. Enrollment in a Master’s Degree in Library Science program.
2. Reliable knowledge of print and electronic reference sources commonly found in academic libraries.
3. Knowledge of the Library of Congress classification system.
4. Excellent communication skills, marked by active listening and clear verbal responses (oral and written).
5. Strong computer skills as they relate to reference librarianship, including the ability to search an online catalog or library database effectively; the ability to use Microsoft Outlook, Word, and web browsers, at a minimum.
6. Ability to work effectively with a diverse clientele and staff.
7. Ability to work independently and on weekends.