The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) advances the science and engineering of energy efficiency, sustainable transportation, and renewable power technologies and provides the knowledge to integrate and optimize energy systems.
The NREL Library has an opening for a Reference Librarian to join our team of librarians that provide top quality reference research for the lab’s scientists, engineers, and analysts exploring energy systems and technologies—and the science behind them—for a future powered by affordable, abundant, and clean energy. NREL staff performs world-class research and analysis. The selected candidate will provide information on a wide variety of subjects to research staff across the lab, often with short turnaround.
The selected candidate will:
- Provide timely reference research services to researchers and management at NREL. Deliverables include comprehensive literature reviews, specific scientific information, market data, and traditional document delivery.
- Efficiently communicate with researchers to identify information needs and define the expected results.
- Cultivate relationships with NREL researchers to further the NREL Library’s role as a trusted partner in advancing NREL’s mission.
- Provide circulation services as needed.
- Along with other NREL Librarians, staff the NREL Library Reference Desk and provide walk-up service to the NREL community.
- Give outreach presentations to scientific groups at NREL promoting the Library’s services.
- Provide support to other projects and tasks as needed.
- Have the ability to function independently and collaboratively to identify and accomplish goals.
- Demonstrate a willingness to coordinate and communicate regularly with team members to ensure high quality work product.
- Have excellent communication skills.
ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library Science (MLS, MLIS, or equivalent) and at least three years of relevant professional experience.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Experience with interlibrary loan (e.g., Tipasa, ILLiad).
- Basic cataloging experience using Alma or other modern ILS system.
- Demonstrated interest in staying current on industry best practices.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. NREL promotes a work environment that does not discriminate against workers or job applicants and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status, including special disabled veterans.
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, click here.
The NREL Library works with an active and engaged user community. We work closely with researchers and support staff from across the laboratory.