The University of Denver University Libraries brings the history of cultural experience to successive generations, enabling each to gain insight into the human endeavor. The Libraries is central to discovery and creative interaction among students and faculty. The Libraries links information and the University community regardless of the location of the information or the individual seeking it.
The University of Denver Hampden Center (located in Lakewood, CO) seeks an enthusiastic technician to perform the daily operations of the Hampden Center (Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm). The candidate will retrieve materials with great exactitude for the DU community, scan article requests, transport materials to and from campus, process returns, and assign materials locations using the local organizational schema and Alma.
This is a non-benefited position not to exceed 1,000 calendar hours in a calendar year.
- Scan article requests from materials onsite and delivered,
- Prioritize scanning requests according to delivery schedule,
- May be responsible for the transportation of materials to and from campus between 8am and 4pm, Monday - Friday. Rotating Sunday shifts.
- Retrieve requested material using ladders and aerial lift,
- Troubleshoot printer, computer, software issues as they arise,
- Shelve books in designated areas,
- Conduct routine stack searches for overdue or missing items,
- Perform a building walk through each shift,
- Shift library materials as needed to build and comply with space planning procedures and maintenance,
- Participate in inventory and re-labeling projects,
- Cooperate as a team member with staff to achieve efficient library operation,
- Become capable of both opening and closing procedures in the absence of the manager including but not limited to arming and/or disarming the building,
- Has excellent communication skills and a willingness to engage on a professional level to assure excellent internal customer service,
- Recognizes and incorporates the mission and goals of the department, and the Library as a whole, into all aspects of their work.
- Frequent adjustments to the daily routine based on the priorities of the day.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
In addition to the basics that all members of the Hampden Center perform on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis, this position is reserved for those members of staff that:
- Have prior digitization and/or ILLiad experience, or a willingness to learn.
- If 21 years of age, have a valid driver’s license, pass the defensive driving course, and must be willing and able to operate a University vehicle and an aerial lift (after on-site training). Those under 21 will not transport materials.
- High attention to detail and the ability to learn an organizational schema.
- Able to work in both a typical office environment and a warehouse environment.
- Ability to lift boxes up to 25-50 pounds, stand, bend, kneel, push, pull, and use ladders to perform the work.
- If 21 years of age, have a valid driver's license, pass the driving course, and must be willing and able to operate a University vehicle and an aerial lift (after on-site training). Those under 21 will not transport materials.
- High School diploma or GED
- Crown lift and/or pallet racking assembly experience
Monday - Friday, Part-Time. Some weekends required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00pm (MST) Oct. 25, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applicants submitted online will be accepted.
The hourly range for the position is $13.25.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
The University of Denver operates a 55,000sqft, high density storage facility that currently houses nearly 90% of the University's collections. We are entering a new, exciting phase of operations and are looking to add some interesting, library-interested staff. As our services, partnerships, and holdings expand, we are building an operational culture that is built on a lean/continuous improvement background. To that end, we are rarely satisfied with "good enough" and all staff are expected to participate in making the entirety of our operations more strategic, providing better outcomes to our users by building better processes by experimentation, data, and resource expertise.
The ideal candidate will not want to sit in a cubicle with their time. We are focused on taking the ILS out into the stacks to complete the myriad of projects we currently have underway. In addition, this position will work 100% of their time with the collection at the offsite storage facility in Lakewood, CO (near Hampden and Kipling).
For questions about the process or the positions, please contact Caroline Rew at email@example.com.