Job Summary: Working under the direction of the Head Librarian, the Technical Service Librarian manages and performs the technical services activities including but not limited to cataloging, classification, and physical maintenance of the circulating, rare books, and other special collections. This position has required public service duties including but not limited to opening and closing the library, circulation, outreach, and reference in gardening, horticulture, and on the Gardens generally. In addition, the Librarian works on assigned projects, supervises volunteers, and maintains library services for all audiences.
Career Type: Full-time
Qualifications/ Experience: Prior knowledge and previous experience is required, including a Master's degree or equivalent, preferably an MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution and at least one year working in a library setting and operating library system software; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The position requires demonstrated knowledge, skill and ability in library services, particularly as it relates to technical services. Demonstrated strong organizational, interpersonal and customer service skills are required. Must be able to maintain accurate records, files and schedules. Must be able to prioritize, multi-task, and work independently and on teams. Familiarity with Microsoft Windows based systems and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and the ability to learn needed software & databases is required. Knowledge of horticultural, botanical, and gardening topics is desirable but not required. Experience supervising volunteers, in science libraries or other special libraries, and serving public audiences is desirable.
Essential Job Duties:
- Consistently and accurately performs cataloging and technical services functions including but not limited to cataloging and classifying library materials in accordance with standard national guidelines and systems.
- Participates in ongoing and project-based initiatives to implement and refine the library catalog. Serves as the library database manager and authority on cataloging issues.
- Coordinates technical services operations with other library services and functions.
- Responsible for creating original bibliographic records and handling authority control.
- Communicates with librarians regarding technical services, including, but not limited to, proper procedures, changes to policies, and processing materials.
- Recommends the adoption of bibliographic maintenance standards and authorities in an automated environment.
- Provides reference services to patrons in person, by telephone, and electronically.
- Records accurate reference statistics and performs circulation duties such as check-ins, check-outs, in-house check-ins, and some book shelving.
- Autonomously opens and closes the library in a punctual manner.
Other Job Duties:
- Reviews potential materials for acquisition and contributes to acquisition and collection development efforts.
- Train and supervise volunteers and interns; makes job assignments and verifies that assignments are carried out properly.
- Attend professional and community meetings, workshops, and conferences, as required; may act as library representative to professional organizations and community groups.
- Assists in planning, implementing and evaluating library services, coordinating selection of library materials.
- Acts as liaison to some vendors as assigned.
- Assists in developing bibliographies, displays, and other educational tools.
- Assists with management of serials subscriptions, check-ins, and claims.
- May aid in processing interlibrary loans and notifying patrons regarding over-dues and delivered materials.
- Assist with special events or programs that involve the library as assigned.
- Contributes to book reviews, blog posts, and other education/outreach efforts.
- Work with all departments to assure highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens visitors.
- Maintain satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others.
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Performs any additional duties as assigned or required.
Benefits: Major benefits include choice of medical plans, dental, vision and life insurance, medical and daycare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Healthcare Spending Account (HSA) ; a generous retirement plan plus paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time and access to personal lines of insurance. Additional benefits include short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), an ECO pass and a complimentary Denver Botanic Gardens membership, access to Gardens education classes and summer concert tickets.
To apply click the link: