Job title: Anythink Buyer (part product guru, part trend spotter, part detail dynamo)
Business Unit: Collection Development
Hiring Pay range: $3957 to $4551 monthly
Job Type: Full-time; exempt; benefited
You're a true nonfiction buff with a long list of favorites. You're always looking for the next great cookbook to tell your friends about. You know which upcoming celebrity memoirs will be trending on Twitter before they're on anyone else's radar. You understand that a wonderful how-to book can spark a new creative passion. You believe that libraries can be trendsetters by discovering the very best new content and sharing it with the world.
We are searching for an Anythink Buyer to develop our popular, browsing collection of adult nonfiction books, DVDs, and digital content. If you're passionate about movies, music and books and thrive on innovation, creativity and collaboration, this could be the opportunity you've been living for.
You are passionate about our products and know what people are reading, watching and listening to today and have big ideas on what is going to be buzzworthy three months from now. You are the trendspotter of the Collection Development team, knowing what's hot and what's not and why people love it anyway. You are a fierce advocate for our WordThink classification system, evaluating and evolving to make it simple and intuitive for our customers and staff. We look to you to be the expert in your buying realm, tracking your products from the minute they arrive to the moment we tell them goodbye.
You understand the importance of a popular-browsing collection that reflects our community and helps our customers fuel their curious minds.
Ready to join in a bold opportunity to help us take community library services to an entirely new dynamic realm?
Who you are:
- From blues to biographies, you have a vast knowledge of popular genres and what the everyday person is looking for when they visit our libraries.
- You are tapped into the publishing world, constantly reviewing social and traditional media to spot the latest trends and fads.
- You engage well with others and are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- You're a team player who thinks quickly on your feet.
- You believe in intellectual freedom and understand why it is important for libraries.
- You are an active listener with lots of patience.
- You value technology as a tool, staying on top of new technology trends.
- You inspire fun in the people around you.
- You help pick the stuff that people want to read/watch/hear and you love it. You help identify trends to support our popular-browsing collection and purchase the latest and greatest for our multi-branch system.
- You are a genius at time management and multitasking. You are flexible, able to identify priorities and shift focus at the drop of a hat.
- You are a leader, happily taking on lead responsibilities, including person in charge, communicating priorities to staff, and being a go-to person for department issues that may arise.
- You are a details rock star and know your way around a MARC record. You understand that cataloging is a big deal because it helps our customers find things more easily.
- For you, technology isn't just a tool but a way of life; you depend on your 100+ apps, Goodreads account and Spotify to find your next favorites.
- You help spread the word about our products to staff and customers, working closely with Innovations and other departments as a go-to resource.
- You assist in the weeding charge, guiding the branches in their procedures to keep materials new, fresh and beautiful.
- You see the big picture; you understand there is a flow to the way that materials are located and displayed on the shelves to enhance the customer's browsing experience. You have an eye for merchandizing.
- You always have customer service in mind, both for your internal and external customers.
- You enjoy interacting with our customers and love to make someone's day by filling their request.
- You embrace Anythink's vision and are a champion for our word-based classification system, WordThink.
- You are an explorer of our collections, using concrete data to analyze and make decisions about our materials to keep them fresh and loved by the communities we serve.
- You are the point person for materials vendors, developing collaborative relationships to keep things running smoothly.
- You understand that when the pressure is on, we all work together; you enjoy being part of the team to make it happen whether that means working on the floor or helping unpack boxes during a processing crunch time.
- You love our products. You are a voracious reader, listen to a diverse range of music, and love a good movie.
- You collaborate with other departments and branches to support their collection needs.
- You have great ideas to share on district committees and enjoy taking a leadership role.
- You do the right thing. Every decision you make and action you take is an opportunity to demonstrate our collective integrity.
Additional Info & Requirements
Your job will involve your being “on the move” in our libraries: You will stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
Expect evening and weekend shifts as part of your schedule.
REMEMBER TO APPLY BY THE POSTING DEADLINE.
Please submit a cover letter and resume for this posting.
Do you have what it takes?
- You have an MLS from an ALA-accredited library school (preferred).
- You have two years of library experience; one year working in collection development for a multi-branch library system is highly desirable.
- You have significant experience with online ordering systems.
- Experience using the Horizon Acquisitions, Cataloging and Circulation System is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize effectively, adapt flexibly to changing priorities, and meet deadlines with a high-speed environment.
- You are tech savvy. You are computer literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, online resources including email and expert searching capabilities. Smart phones and tablets don’t scare you.
- Foreign language selection experience preferred.
We are guided by these shared values:
Compassion for our customers and each other
Passion for our product
Eagerness to learn
Everyone is creative
Optimistic attitude – we believe that anything is possible
Why Anythink? A job with Anythink libraries is a chance to use your knowledge and experience to enable transformations every day. You will be instrumental in helping our customers have fun, whether they’re sitting by the fireplace with a newspaper, surfing the Internet, gaming in the teen room or learning something new at one of our many intriguing and entertaining programs. As you help and inspire others, you will also be inspired. This job will have you loving Monday mornings again.
If you are interested in joining our team, please visit our Job Center on our website at www.anythinklibraries.org