Seeking experienced, highly motivated, life long learner for our Systems Team.
ByWater Solutions was created with the express goal of changing the way libraries interact with their software and the vendors who support them. We believe that libraries deserve to have access to a world class system and personalized, comprehensive support at a reasonable cost. Our company is made up of a small and close knit group of librarians, book lovers, technology and data geeks, Tolkien fans, space nerds, knitters, marathon runners, animal lovers, and most importantly, library lovers and open source fanatics. We are a transparent organization that values collaboration with each other and the larger open source communities we work with. We strive to set our library partners and coworkers up for success.
We are looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to work with our Operations team. You will lead a team of system support professionals to manage and improve our technical infrastructure, systems implementation and support with our library partners. This role will also work as an integral part of the DevOps team to implement our Continuous Integration infrastructure, monitoring, alerting, log analysis, and configuration management. In addition to a strong technical background a successful candidate will also be able to manage workloads and motivate people.
- Manage deployment of web applications in a cloud computing environment
- Maintenance, configuration, and monitoring of cloud hosted servers
- Systems failure analysis and remediation
- Responsible for capacity, system architecture planning, and database performance
- Continuous research and implementation of security best practices
- Automate repetitive tasks
- Participate in research and development to continuously improve and keep up with the IT business needs of our organization
- As part of the DevOps team troubleshoot network and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing the impact of issues
- Perform regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures
- Lead help desk system support efforts, making sure partner and staff issues are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions
- Working with people over the full range of technical aptitude
- Love of libraries is a must!
- Ability to work remotely as a team
- Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills
- Enthusiasm for learning new technologies.
- Proven experience in Linux System Administration
- Experience leading complex technical changes from start to completion, including collaboration with other teams, and documentation
- Experience supporting web applications in a cloud computing environment ( e.g. RackSpace, Google Cloud, Azure, AWS, etc )
- Knowledge of Open Source Software: Linux ( Debian preferred ) and Apache ( nginx a plus )
- Comfort with shell and at least one language used in a DevOps context (e.g. Perl preferred, Python, PHP)
- Experience with configuration management ( Ansible preferred, Puppet, Chef, etc )
- Experience with monitoring, metrics and logging infrastructure (e.g. Netdata/Prometheus, Icinga/Nagios, Logstash/Kibana, etc.)
- BSc/BA preferably in computer science, engineering or relevant field; Masters degree will be a plus
Great to have:
- Familiarity with the Open Source products Libki, Koha, Aspen Discovery, and/or CORAL is a plus
- Experience contributing to an open source software project in any capacity
- Knowledge of Kubernetes or other container orchestration solutions
- Experience building, using and deploying Docker container images as part of a Continuous Delivery
This is a full-time, telecommuting position (within PT to ET time zones) which requires working from home and an approximate 5% travel requirement. ByWater offers performance bonuses, 401k, medical, great pay, on the job skills training and the chance to work with a talented group of team members. We're looking forward to meeting you. Send your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.