We are a busy Family Place Library that is a community destination for families to play and learn together. We have a central focus on early literacy, but we serve all children from birth - 12 years and their parents or caregivers. This position will spend the majority of their time on our busy reference desk.
A rewarding position you will love:
- Make a positive impact on the lives of children and families.
- Promote a positive public image to patrons and teammates through friendly and responsive interactions.
- Personal growth and development through library committee work and workshop/conference attendance opportunities.
- Become a member of a closely knit and innovative team.
- Work in an environment that is driven by a philosophy of saying "yes" to new ideas.
Scope of Work
- Possesses basic knowledge concerning library services which will include practical experience in library services and programs.
- Is fully present. Gives customer their full attention and demonstrates a commitment to offer the best customer service.
- Provides reader's advisory service for children and families.
- Assists children in use of library and its resources.
- Assists parents and other adults in selection of appropriate children's material.
- Demonstrates and assists patrons with use of computers and devices.
- Helps maintain Children's library and Family Place area.
Essential Required Tasks/Examples of Duties
(Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position. The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The City and County of Broomfield retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential tasks and additional functions of the job at any time. Examples of duties are not intended to be all-inclusive or restrictive.)
Assist children, parents, and adults who work with children by providing reference and reader's advisory service. Plan and present programs for children of various ages and for families. Create displays, reading lists, and promotional materials. Assist in collection maintenance. Work as a team with Children's Services staff.
Greet and welcome the public. Provide customer assistance in person or on the phone. Interview patrons and determine information needs; assist patrons in the use of library catalog, databases and resource materials; answer basic reference questions using print and electronic resources; recommend book and other library materials; take interlibrary loan requests, meeting room inquiries, and keep statistics. Respond to and resolve routine customer needs that may include location of materials; information regarding library services or programs; interpretation of library policy; instruction in the use of the library catalog, Internet computers & accompanying software and other equipment such as copy machine, microform reader or audio-visual equipment. Set-up equipment including sound system, multimedia projector, laptop configuration, TV/DVD/VHS for meetings or events. Refer patrons to other staff as appropriate. Maintain confidentiality of all patron data and information.
Assist librarians in collection development and maintenance as needed including weeding, shifting and shelving materials. Assist in maintaining the library areas to include straightening, picking up materials, organizing, re-shelving, or shelf reading. Take proper safety precautions, anticipate unsafe circumstances, and act accordingly to prevent accidents. Use all required safety equipment. Perform related duties as assigned.
External Job Ad