YOUTH SERVICES LIBRARIAN
- Full-Time (40 Hours)
- Salary Range $41,600-$49,500 Annually
The Maury Loontjens Memorial Library is seeking a dynamic individual to oversee a very busy children’s department in the seaside town of Narragansett, RI. The library provides services for over 15,000 full and part-time residents, college students, senior citizens and visitors. Our library has a history of providing high quality programs and friendly customer service in a comfortable setting.
The Youth Services Librarian oversees both traditional and non-traditional services to children of all ages, young adults and caregivers. Responsibilities include building and maintaining an engaging and diverse collection of materials. Developing, planning and promoting age appropriate programming for infants to young adults. Building partnerships and providing outreach to local community groups, organizations and schools. Demonstration of a working knowledge of trends in children's literature, youth services and the profession. Ability to attend professional meetings, training, conferences, and other continuing education experiences. The library director oversees this position.Routine tasks for the Children’s Department will involve circulation duties, handling money, fulfilling patron requests, opening/closing procedures, processing materials and maintaining the collection. Physical tasks include lifting up to 15 lbs, sitting and standing for periods of time, using computer and other devices every day, moving furniture, and performing light housekeeping duties.
Professional Requirements of Candidate
- ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising staff.
- Candidate must be available days, nights and weekends.
- Preference given to candidate’s competency in the areas of digital literacy, research and technology trends as it applies to this position.
- Ability to work as part of a team of library department supervisors. It should be noted that the town’s political climate has a direct effect on the benefits that can be offered. Since 2015 the Town of Narragansett has not allowed newly hired library staff to participate in a retirement plan. Salary, health insurance, retirement plan and other benefits are not guaranteed.
Candidates asking to be considered for this position should email an applicable cover letter, current resume, along with 3 job references to Patti Arkwright, Library Director, firstname.lastname@example.org