Are you looking for a library management position where you can lead a team committed to providing exceptional customer service and innovative programs?
Be a part of a transformational library committed to engaging with the community in a unique setting and connecting underserved populations to library services in a meaningful way. The NoBo Corner Library is a truly unique part of the north Boulder community! We are located in an affordable housing development building and across the street from the local coffee shop. Our library is only 570 sq. feet and packs a major neighborhood impact!
This small library offers dynamic weekly programs and regular storytimes. We hear consistent and positive feedback from an engaged neighborhood about how much our community appreciates our services and resources. Our library staff has the opportunity to do a little of everything in our small space which, in addition to dynamic family programs, offers new & popular books and movies and access to patron computers. Additionally, the city of Boulder & the Boulder Public Library will be building a brand-new full service branch library in the next couple of years and the supervisor will have an opportunity to influence that project!
Overview of Role:
This fixed term position will last two years and will oversee the NoBo Corner Library until it closes to be replaced by a full-service branch in north Boulder. The Corner Library Supervisor manages the daily operations and activities of the NoBo Corner Library by providing excellent customer service, personnel management, actively promoting corner library services to the community, and performing related duties as required.
The Corner Library Supervisor is charged with modeling quality customer service behaviors which align with the library customer service model and city values. The supervisor will provide leadership and foster an environment which focuses on values-based service and actively pursues improvement in customer service and program delivery. In addition to system-wide committee work and collaboration, this fixed term position will also have a role in influencing and advising the design advisory group on decisions related to building a new full-service branch in north Boulder.
Examples of Duties
1. Creating a pleasant, customer-friendly atmosphere for patrons at the library.
2. Providing leadership and fostering a participatory culture that is open, positive, and supportive. Encouraging employees to be accountable for their work and take ownership in their performance, development, and accomplishments.
3. Managing NoBo Corner Library and its staff through evaluating resources, work, programs, and processes.
4. Planning, scheduling, promoting and administering a variety of programs for children, teens and families.
5. Monitoring the activities of patrons and staff to ensure compliance with library rules of conduct and general safety guidelines in a branch dedicated to children, family and schools in a diverse urban neighborhood.
6. Contributing to system-wide service and program planning committee work, as well as serving as a member of the Design Advisory Group working to build the new branch for north Boulder.
Additional Info & Requirements
Required candidate (skills/competencies):
- Customer Focus: The ideal candidate demonstrates a dedication to excellent internal and external customer service.
- Directing Others: The ideal candidate demonstrates a commitment to and experience in principles of organization development, including team building, continuous improvement, and change management; establishes clear directions and objectives; addresses problem performance by delivering timely and firm coaching and direction.
- Peer relationships: The ideal candidate demonstrates a proven ability to model positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor in working with others.
- Process Management: The ideal candidate demonstrates creativity and flexibility in the implementation of library services by identifying opportunities to improve efficiency; best practices for output measurement, and organizing a variety of resources, personnel and activities to accomplish goals.
- Priority setting: The ideal candidate possesses excellent planning skills and the ability to prioritize work independently; eliminates obstacles or unproductive practices; and utilizes his/her time and that of direct reports on important tasks.
Minimum requirements (anything minimum- need to lift 30 pounds, excel skills, etc):
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years' experience in library management and customer service, or an equivalent combination of experience/education.
What you will learn and accomplish:
This fixed-term opportunity will allow the successful candidate to grow their management skills and obtain a diverse array of library job skills and experiences. The work is very self-directed and will allow a creative and motivated person to contribute at a high level in an innovative and fun work environment, at a library that is not afraid to take chances and try new things to best meet the needs of our users. You'll join a supportive team of hard-working and intelligent individuals who are ready to collaborate, mentor and learn from a new team member.
The City of Boulder provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
- This is a two year fixed-term position
- This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days from 12/13/2019 after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.