Job Title: Library Assistant
Reports To: Librarian II
Department: Public Services
Location: Old Town Library
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Job Classification: Full-time Classified
Salary Range: $19.76 per hour
Summary: The Library Assistant performs a variety of customer contact duties including actively assisting customers find and use library materials, and maintaining a welcoming, accessible library space. Provides information assistance and readers’ advisory to customers. Provides programming and/or programming support. Serves as lead scheduler for information service desks. Exhibits excellent customer service while performing all work duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provides pro-active, courteous, efficient service to library customers. Greets and acknowledges customers and provides assistance as needed.
- Assists customers with information seeking, navigation of information resources including digital resources, readers’ advisory and computer assistance.
- Demonstrates respect, courtesy and professionalism in all customer interactions. Demonstrates tactful and conscientious service to people of all ages, races, abilities, cultures and genders.
- May create, plan and implement story times for young children. May plan and implement public programs with assistance from volunteers or District staff.
- Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties in order to proactively assist customers.
- Provides customer assistance with computer use and digital technologies including tablets, printers, and projectors. Provides assistance with digital file management including uploading and downloading files.
- Creates and maintains service desk shift schedule to ensure staffing levels are suitable at all times. Works with scheduling team and data to adapt schedule to changing branch needs.
- Collaborates with Youth Services Librarian to coordinate desk schedule and story time schedule.
- Creates and manages relevant and attractive displays of library materials.
- May assist with special projects and or programs both in- and outside the library.
- Assists or may lead response to emergency situations including responding to customers in violation of the Library Behavior Rules.
- Regularly uses computers and digital technology in daily duties and communication.
- Participates in training and continuing education as needed.
- May participate in library teams, committees and other project-based groups.
- Maintains a working knowledge of books, authors and bestseller lists.
- May oversee and direct the work of hourly employees and volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with a diverse population.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and handle difficult and / or emergency situations involving customers.
- Requires experience working with children, knowledge of child development and ability to manage and engage children.
- Ability to use a variety of computer technologies and applications including Internet, email, and digital files. Ability to operate and perform basic troubleshooting of digital tools including PCs, tablets, smartphones, keyboards, and connecting cables.
- Ability to thrive working in an environment that requires constant public contact with people from all backgrounds and age groups.
- Ability to demonstrate positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor working with customers, coworkers and community.
- Ability to creatively solve problems, negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
- Knowledge of current and classic books, authors and illustrators for a variety of ages strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of general human knowledge, including the arts, sciences, literature, as well as periods of history and geography preferred.
- Skill in using basic workplace technology including email, internet, file management, data entry, word processing and automated software.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and handle emergency situations preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
High school diploma required. Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. One-year of library or related customer service experience required. Technical knowledge and experience using downloadable materials preferred. Experience using scheduling software to create a public service desk schedule preferred.
Ability to read and speak English fluently required. Ability to read and interpret documents such as emails, procedures and informational articles required. Ability to write routine reports and email correspondence required. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization required. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable. Fluency in a language other than English is desirable.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed and/or required to:
- Work primarily in a library environment and sometimes in community settings.
- Regularly sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, talk and hear.
- Regularly reach, lift and move arms above shoulder level.
- Occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl climb or balance.
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Regularly operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines.
- Continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- Work a varied schedule at various locations, including weekends and evenings.
Located in northern Colorado, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and an outstanding public school system.
Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins offers exciting recreational opportunities, unique cultural offerings, and is a regional center for employment and shopping.
Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found throughout the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
If you are seeking the Colorado lifestyle and a community in which you can reinvent and reinvigorate yourself then Fort Collins is your city.
For more information, please visit the City of Fort Collins website: http://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
Apply online only at https://poudrelibraries.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=55
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!