Marian J. Mohr Memorial Library - Town of Johnston
1 Memorial Avenue, Johnston RI
The Town of Johnston is seeking a trustworthy, responsible individual who, under direction of the Library Director, will perform professional administrative and technical library work classifying, cataloging, ordering and maintaining books and materials, performing reference work, planning and implementing special programming and services, and assisting the general public.
- Present and coordinate programs for school-age children, teenagers and young adults.
- Develop collections in cooperation with the Director and other staff.
- Attend system-wide meetings for librarians serving teens.
- Incorporate new technologies into library service and train staff and patrons in use.
- Help maintain library website, online calendar and social media.
- Manage orders of materials and enter them into the catalog.
- Supervise entry, processing and inventory of materials by technical staff.
- Review all cataloging for conformance to standards.
- Attend meetings of the Database Management Committee.
- Provide reference service, reader’s advisory and instruction in library and computer use.
- Support the library circulation desk as needed.
- Provide technical support of library equipment as needed.
- May be left in charge of the library to supervise the opening or closing as needed.
- Participates in other work as needed to ensure that library services are unimpeded.
- ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library and Information Science.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to deliver exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and with minimum supervision.
- Experience with instructing others on how to use digital technology.
- Experience in planning and conducting age-appropriate programming.
- Working knowledge of print and online reference resources.
- Able to foster a nonjudgmental, supportive environment for a diverse population.
- Demonstrates skill in reference interviewing and in Reader’s Advisory.
- Full-time position
- Paid time off
- Excellent Dental and Medical Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Retirement benefits
Additional Info & Requirements
Please send a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com
Mohr Library is the public library of Johnston, Rhode Island. The new facility has 20 tables, 15 public computers and laptops, over 50,000 books, video and audio recordings, and electronic readers. There is a meeting room for public use by up to 40 people, as well as quiet rooms for up to six people.
Mohr Library offers public presentations and educational programs for various age groups that are free and open to the public. Library staff perform outreach to present to schools and assisted care facilities. The Library also has a number of information resources, including helpful staff members.
Human Resources Department
1385 Hartford Avenue
Johnston, RI 02919