Performs work involving processing, handling and shelving of library materials, as well as refreshing displays enabling patrons and staff to find library materials quickly because the materials are in their correct locations.
- Responsible for ensuring the correct order of materials on the shelves by checking for correct Dewey Decimal or alphabetical order, shifting and straightening materials and filling displays as needed.
- In assigned areas, performs shelf maintenance; monitors condition and appearance of the materials at check-in and during shelf-reading. Communicates to staff librarians the areas of the collection that need to be weeded or need additions.
- Runs daily requests and expired holds lists; searches for and pulls items on holds shelf and in stacks; processes and shelves holds at check-in.
- Empties interior and exterior book drop and checks in books; check in library materials daily by retrieving library materials from collection return bins; enters materials return data; checks in and sorts items delivered by courier; shelves magazines and periodicals.
- Sorts and re-shelves returned library materials daily by arranging materials according to established sequence on book cart and transport materials to appropriate shelves for manual re-shelving.
- Keeps informed of library and departmental information through departmental procedures.
- May assist searching for claimed, returned materials; may contact patrons regarding held items; may occasionally assist library patrons with simple questions while out in stacks; may assist in the training of volunteers.
- Maintain patron confidentiality and perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of computer use; including internet, email, and Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to learn and become proficient with equipment and software programs as required to effectively and efficiently perform assigned duties.
- Must be able to learn circulation system functions and procedures including processing library materials and running reports in Sierra ILS software.
- Must be able to learn and become proficient with proper materials shelving according to library classification and layout.
- Must be able to accurately and efficiently file alphabetically, alphanumerically and numerically.
- Must have the ability to work as a team member and work independently to complete assignments.
- Must be able to provide efficient and courteous patron service towards a diverse patron population.
- Must read, speak, write and understand the English language.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with customers and staff members; understand and follow oral and written instructions; deliver high quality work product; deliver services to customers with responsiveness courtesy and tact; and perform repetitive tasks while maintaining a high level of concentration.
Additional Info & Requirements
This position works approximately 20 hours per week, with one evening per week and one weekend per month.
Lafayette's panoramic view of the Rocky Mountains inspires our view into the future. We value our heritage, our unique neighborhoods, a vibrant economy, and active lifestyles. We envision a future that mixes small town livability with balanced growth and superior City services.
Complete City of Lafayette application prior to application deadline.