Have you ever wondered what it might be like to work at a library? The Library Associate is our entry-level public-facing position, responsible for customer service, circulation and most everyday library functions. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, helping connect people with resources, and participating in a great work culture, please consider applying for our open position.
The Library Associate provides excellent customer service at the library's service points; delivers information services to customers of all ages; assists in the planning and implementation of programs that promote literacy skills and life long learning; and assists in the development and maintenance of the library's collections.
As part of the Public Services team, this position promotes books and reading to library customers of all ages, supports reader's services, assists in outreach activities and efforts, and provides an enthusiastic, approachable presence at the library.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and committees.
- Help to maintain collections through weeding and rotation of materials.
- Support, participate in and promote library programs and initiatives.
- Use online software and databases to manage accounts, study rooms and material sources.
- Assist in the management and inventory of supplies and resources.
- Prepare books and non-media for library collection (stamping, placing labels, covering or packaging materials, etc.).
- Check materials for accuracy and completeness.
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a courteous, positive image of the library when interacting with customers and staff.
- Work at library service points providing information in person and on the phone.
- Provide information on reference services and reader's advisory services.
- Answer questions regarding library policies, procedures, and records.
- Maintain customer and staff confidentiality.
- Keep informed of library information and changes via electronic and written communication and attendance at staff meetings.
- Assist customers with the use of library equipment and resources, including computers, e-readers, the online catalog, automated reference tools, the Internet, databases, printers, scanners, and new technologies.
- Assist with library programs and outreach.
- Support the daily transactions of the library.
- Prepare library materials for customer use, processing holds, creating displays, locating materials, and assisting with material recommendations.
- Keep current on library trends.
- Complete special projects as assigned, in a timely manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE: Basic library functions and procedures; library principles and trends; familiarity with the Dewey Decimal System; familiarity with Sirsi/Dynix Horizon a plus; familiarity with basic reference tools and philosophy; computer operations and information retrieval processes; collection development principles, and reader's advisory tools.
SKILL: Proficiency in the operation of equipment necessary to perform the functions of the job; excellent customer service skills; strong computer skills.
ABILITY: Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; plan and perform a variety of assignments requiring initiative and some exercise of independent judgment; think and act appropriately under pressure; manage conflict effectively; work effectively in a team setting.
Flexibility, forward thinking, and a positive attitude.
Lafayette's panoramic view of the Rocky Mountains inspires our view into the future. We value our heritage, our unique neighborhoods, a vibrant economy, and active lifestyles. We envision a future that mixes small town livability with balanced growth and superior City services.
Complete City of Lafayette application prior to application deadline.