Southern Chaffee County Regional Library District (AKA Salida Regional Library)
This part-time position assists in planning and administering children’s programs and promoting reading to the community. The position is also responsible for assisting in collection development and supervisory duties in the Children’s Librarian’s absence. This position has a schedule that includes days, nights, and weekends.
Additional Info & Requirements
• Relationships/interactions with teammates.
• Problem solving. Thinks creatively and provides ideas on how to better perform tasks and responsibilities.
• Speaks respectfully and courteously to patrons and teammates.
• Job knowledge – asks supervisor when there is a question or concern about library policy or job tasks.
• Demonstrates a willingness to learn from teammates and take direction
• Is fully present. Gives customer their full attention.
• Demonstrates a commitment to offer the best customer service.
• Is tactful, courteous, honest and diplomatic to patrons on the phone and in person.
• Promotes a positive public image to patrons and teammates
Performs Circulation Duties:
• Shelves library materials
• Shelf-reads collection for proper arrangement of materials and alerts supervisor to problem areas
• Maintains display items properly
• Assists with closing procedures
• Fills in at circulation desk as needed
• Proficient in Dewey decimal system and shelving practice
Performs Children’s Department Program Librarian duties:
• Planning, preparing and delivering programming to children and families
• Processing materials for circulation (as directed)
• The general operation of the children’s department
• Helping patrons with locating library materials, answer questions, and assist with information searches
• Suggesting materials or ways to locate relevant materials
• Demonstrating and assisting patrons with use of computers and devices
• Enforcing library policies
• Keeping current with new technologies and children’s literature
• Participating in professional development opportunities
• Supervising the daily operations of the Children’s Department in the absence of the Children’s Librarian
• Performing related duties as assigned.
Requirement of work:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, and additional education preferred; 1 -2 years of library experience preferred and experience working with children required; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, ability and skills:
• Youth literature, programs, policies and procedures
• Library services and procedures, including the circulation system
• Business English (grammar, spelling, punctuation and tone)
• The use of standard office equipment including computers and relevant software
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with staff and supervisors
• Work independently with minimal supervision
• Understand and follow directions
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers and the general public
• Work well with children and foster their interest in reading
• Organization and time management
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work is performed indoors; hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various types of tools and equipment.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, prolonged visual concentration and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee may be exposed to unpleasant conditions such as dim or bright lighting, dust, odors, toxic agents, electrical currents and vibrations.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally in excess of 50 pounds.
Prior to Hire:
• Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background check, which may include employment verification and a criminal history check. Any information obtained will be used to determine eligibility for employment in accordance with the law.
The Colorado mountain town of Salida sits in the middle of the state, literally in the "Heart of the Rockies," about 2 hours from Colorado Springs and 3 hours from Denver. Salida, Colorado's estimated population is 5,963 according to the most recent United States census estimates. The median income for households in Salida, Colorado is $39,741, while the mean household income is $60,281.
Susan Matthews, Director