Provides high quality friendly service assisting customers with library circulation services. This
position will be hired to work primarily at a specific facility, but will substitute at other locations
at times and depending upon future staffing needs, be re-assigned to a different primary
This position will work primarily at the following location: Mission Viejo Library, 15324 E. Hampden Cir., Aurora, CO 80013
The schedule for this position are Saturdays 9-6, Mondays 9-6 and Thursdays 10-2.
**This posting will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants are
obtained; however, it is subject to close at any time without prior notice.**
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides friendly, efficient and professional service to customers in-person, by telephone and email
- Conducts general office/administrative/clerical tasks as needed.
- Shelve and straighten materials as needed
Circulation Focus (primary):
- Checks books/other items in and out through computerized system
- Answers general customer questions regarding library policy, procedures and customer accounts.
- Answers basic reference, reader's advisory and general customer questions
- Redirects more advanced reference questions to Reference staff as appropriate
- Operates a cash register, conducts customer payment transactions, maintains a cash drawer
- Performs data entry into library system, spreadsheet and other databases
- Sorts, processes, shelves and assists with other general library materials inventory management duties
- Assists with research and programs as needed
- Proactively ensures that library space is neat and organized (e.g. furniture and equipment is in order, shelves are well organized, displays are creative and refreshed regularly
- Performs additional duties as assigned
Education: High School diploma or GED.
Experience: At least 6 months of direct customer service in a retail or service industry setting
preferred. Library background (preferred).
A combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the minimum
education and experience requirements on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge: Customer service, routine software and business applications, including but not limited to Internet, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- Ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and diplomacy;
- Communicate with diverse customers/staff of all ages in a professional, age and culturally appropriate manner; use general office equipment, computers, calculators, copy/fax machine and printers
- Perform basic mathematical calculations; follow oral and written instructions; work shifts,including some nights, and weekends.
Additional Info & Requirements
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
- Colorado driver's license with a good to excellent driving record.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
Physical Demands: Light to moderate physical work requiring ability to lift 30 pounds with or without assistance; frequent lifting, carrying, walking and standing; may require frequent pulling, pushing, bending and stooping; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens; vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents; hand/eye coordination for operation of computer keyboard, carts and movable shelving.
Work Environment: Works primarily indoors but may work outdoors assisting with a program or outreach events in varying weather conditions.
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission
and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
Competitive total compensation package
Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
Light rail station minutes away
On-site fitness center and wellness programs
Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
Access to innovation work spaces
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.