Do you have a curious, inquisitive mind and an eye for detail? Are you excited about technology developments in our ever-changing world and eager to learn more in a hands-on environment? Are you passionate about serving the public? If so, read on!
Trinidad Carnegie Public Library
Salary: $14,778.40 (part-time/20 hours per week, $14.21/hr)
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs technical and clerical duties to support the Library with a focus on Technology, and assisting others with technology questions, planning technology related programs. This position is established at 20 hours per week and is non-benefited.
CULTURAL VALUES and COMPETENCIES: The mission of every employee at the City of Trinidad is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life to all of our citizens. Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City’s core value of PRIDE which is delivered through Purpose, Responsibility, Integrity, Dependability and Excellence. As a City we embrace and celebrate diversity and equity for all citizens and recognize that it is a privilege to serve the citizens of Trinidad, Colorado. In addition to PRIDE, the Carnegie Public Library strives to uphold departmental values of Public Good, Adaptability, Compassion, Education and Service to All.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The City of Trinidad retains the right to modify or change the essential duties and additional functions of the job at any time without notice. Examples of duties are not intended to be all- inclusive or restrictive.)
· Prepares library for opening and closing.
· Checks materials in and out using a computer and library software.
· Greets and directs patrons.
· Collects and records fines and fees.
· Provides service at circulation desk, assists customers as needed, and resolves customer issues.
· Answers the phone and routes calls.
· Registers new patrons, and updates expired patrons.
· Assists with collection weeding.
· Registers new patrons with library cards and updates patron information.
· Maintains the library website and social media.
· Cleans and organizes the library.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direct supervision of the Library Director and the Circulation Specialist.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
· Ability to analyze situations quickly and make independent decisions based on sound reasoning, good judgment, established procedures and proper interpretation of City Ordinances and Library policies.
· Ability to perform duties independently and with initiative.
· Ability to work in a fast paced environment, while being able to maintain a professional and courteous attitude.
· Demonstrate strong organization skills and a willingness to be pro-active and accept new challenges.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
· Ability to prioritize projects and daily workload.
· Knowledge of computers, tablets and other devices, software, application, iOS/Android, Microsoft Office, social media and internet browsers
· Ability to maintain effective working relations with superiors and subordinates.
· Ability to adhere to strict library and legal protocol regarding patron policies.
· Ability to learn about current trends in library services, digital library services.
· Ability to present information and respond to questions from staff and patrons.
· Ability to learn library methods and procedures.
· Knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
· Ability to operate a personal computer and be familiar with current computer software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) ability to use the Internet and internet databases extensively to answer patron questions.
· Ability to use research skills.
· Ability to comprehend and follow instructions.
· Ability to set priorities to meet assignment deadlines.
· Knowledge of the American Library Association’s Intellectual Freedom statement.
· Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
· Associate's degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school, or one to two years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Field of study business, computer or office management.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
· Associate’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college and technical school, or two to three years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
· Must possess a valid current state-issued driver’s license and not be under suspension, revocation or denial nor have any prior alcohol related driving offenses within the last five years.
· Successful candidates must pass a background investigation and drug screen prior to employment.
· Successful candidates must pass a physical examination in accordance with job duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Duties are generally performed in an office setting with a controlled environment. This position may work evenings and/or weekends.
The Trinidad Carnegie Public Library serves approximately 8,500 people in the City, with a total of about 14,000 people in Las Animas County. The library is a community hub, and our professional values spell PACES: Public good, Adaptability, Compassion, Education, and Service to all.
For more about the community click here.
For more about the library click here.
With any questions or for more information, e-mail Library Director, Mallory Pillard: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call at 719-846-6841
External Job Ad
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and job application to: email@example.com
Incomplete application materials will not be considered.
All materials and information for applying can be found here.