Pikes Peak Library District
701, Manitou Ave, Manitou Springs
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing increasingly complex patron-focused public service, creating programs, and developing targeted activities for a designated age group or service area.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Plans, creates, and delivers District-wide programs; creates program materials/handouts to promote programs; orders program supplies; and trains program volunteers.
- Provides increasingly complex direct public services to patrons as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment. Works combined circulation/service desks.
- Engages in community outreach and programming and/or book talks with schools, businesses, or other community groups to expand visibility and partnerships with the library and community in conjunction with Pikes Peak Library District’s communications and marketing initiatives.
- Provides oversight to districtwide events and services with Librarian/Managerial direction.
- May create and maintain social media platforms to showcase events, programs, and services in conjunction with Pikes Peak Library District’s Communications Department.
- Has in-depth knowledge of specialized areas of the collection and assists in maintaining that collection; trains and assists other staff in the use or maintenance of that collection and specific patron needs; may index Special Collections materials; may recommend material purchase to Collection Management.
- Performs job duties specific to Collection Management if position is in Collection Management.
- Acts as a resource provider for specific service areas, including targeted age groups, technology programming and support, Creative Services equipment and activities, special collections, or the Educational Resource Center.
- Provides guidance and training to other staff or volunteers and takes a lead role in volunteer selection and placement, as assigned by supervisor.
- Provides support for specialized projects, services, programs, and activities related to Services strategic goals and objectives.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all patron and staff interactions.
- Provides higher level technology support to patrons, including providing individualized assistance that requires expert knowledge of equipment and software.
- Provides more advanced reference assistance.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Performs other support activities such as troubleshooting computer and office equipment, compiling data, and monitoring/ordering office supplies.
- Acts as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective daily operation of the library in the absence of a supervisor; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and submitted as required.
- Keeps informed about library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current library services and trends.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Knowledge of more complex computer technology and applications and ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
- Demonstrates flexibility to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with patrons, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Requires a minimum of two years of library experience or other customer service experience (library experience preferred).
- Requires experience with computer equipment and software applications.
- Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Ability to push a loaded book truck required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
DATE POSTED: February 03, 2020
PRIMARY LOCATION: 701 Manitou Ave, Manitou Springs, CO 80829
STARTING WAGE: $19.57 per hour + partial benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 24 hours per week per the following schedule:
Monday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Friday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Ute Pass)
Saturday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (Ute Pass/Manitou Springs Rotation)
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org on/Jobs the Application tab
2. Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333, Ext. 6380
CLOSING DATE: Online application materials must be received by February 17, 2020 at 9:59 p.m. MST
Pikes Peak Library District
Talent Management Supervisor
(719) 531-6333, x6380