Pikes Peak Library District
20 North Cascade Ave, Colorado Springs, CO
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing classroom or online English as a Second Language instruction for adults, and by participating in community outreach events to promote Pikes Peak Library District and its adult education services.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides an encouraging, welcoming point of contact in person, over the phone, or in a virtual environment for adults seeking ESL instruction.
- Provides instruction in the classroom or online for adult education classes.
- Plans class activities and prepares materials for student use.
- Writes lesson plans, grades assignments, and advises students.
- Administers learner intake and skills assessment testing.
- Completes periodic assessment and evaluation of learners’ skills acquisition.
- Coaches volunteers to assist with classroom activities and individual tutoring.
- Prepares monthly department reports.
- Participates in informational outreach activities regarding Pikes Peak Library District’s adult education services.
- Enters instructional hours and monitors assessment data in LACES databases.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Keeps informed about library and department information.
- Participates in special projects as assigned.
- Serves on library teams as assigned.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of adult education instruction, theory, and practice.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specific teaching skills to effectively serve ESL adult learners.
- Demonstrates knowledge of CASAS assessment competencies.
- Demonstrates ability to function effectively in an online or classroom education environment; ability to think and act appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to build effective relationships with student, community partners and library staff.
- Demonstrates advanced ability to use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a team member, organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree in TESOL, education, or related field is preferred.
2. Requires a minimum of one year of classroom experience teaching adults as the primary instructor.
3. Requires Colorado Adult Basic Education Authorization or willingness to obtain within three years of hire.
4. Requires a valid Colorado driver’s license.
5. Bilingual or multilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
DATE POSTED: February 17, 2020
LOCATION: 20 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
STARTING WAGE: $19.57 per hour + full benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 40 hours per week with variable locations, days and times within service times:
Monday and Thursday 8 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
The timings are subject to change depending on the class schedules
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380.
CLOSING DATE: Preference for application materials received by March 05, 2020 at 9:59 p.m. MST
External Job Ad
Pikes Peak Library District
Talent Management Supervisor
(719) 531-6333, x6380