University of Denver Libraries
Main Library, Anderson Academic Commons
Reporting to the Evening Supervisor, this position maintains the Outstanding Holds queue and works scheduled shifts on-call at the Service Desk assisting and coaching student employees with circulation and other library patron needs. This position is responsible for the library's late evening hours and the work schedule is Sunday through Thursday from 6:15pm to 2:15am. On occasion the schedule requires flexibility as this position provides coverage for other staff as needed. Actively participates in library committees and departmental meetings as needed.
- Works on-call at the Service Desk assisting and coaching student employees on Service Desk activities utilizing the Alma system to check-out and check-in library material, collect and negotiate fines utilizing the credit card machine, answer user questions utilizing the appropriate library resources, and refer patrons to the appropriate department within the library or DU campus as needed.
- Communicate access and borrowing policies to users and resolve patron issues.
- Forward unresolved concerns to Access Services Manager as soon as possible and communicate Service Desk concerns and relevant information to Access Services staff and stakeholders within the library. (30%)
- Works Sunday-Thursday 6:15pm - 2:15am and works a flexible schedule as needed. Assists in closing the library when needed and shares responsibility for building safety, including communications and implementation of the librarys disaster plan (20%)
- Responsible for Lending Desks circulating video gaming consoles, ensuring items are ready for use, ensuring that the video consoles are cleaned after each use, broken items are withdrawn and replaced, and new items are placed in appropriate packaging, barcoded, and readied for circulation. Manages workflow for circulating these items. (15%)
- Works on preparing Prospector items to be returned to their home libraries on a nightly basis (15%)
- Maintains the hold shelves, removing expired holds and processing the material which has to be moved to the next patron in the queue. (10%)
- Works on daily, monthly and annual computer passes (10%)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have good communication skills to be able to interact well with other staff
- Must be comfortable using technology as part of daily workflow.
- Most be comfortable closing the library as the only staff member.
- High school diploma or GED
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Previous academic library experience
- Experience with working with the public
- Knowledge of library computer systems.
The University of Denver Libraries, comprised of the Main Library at the Anderson Academic Commons, a remote storage facility called the Hampden Center, and the Bonfils Stanton Music Library in the Newman Center, is a highly collaborative organization that serves a diverse population, ranging from our students, staff, and faculty to public and other academic patrons from the surrounding region. The Anderson Academic Commons is the campus centerpiece for collaborative teaching, learning, and engagement. The University of Denver Libraries are central to discovery and creative interaction among students and faculty, and provide collections, services, personnel, and systems that support the teaching and research programs of the University. The institution is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and inclusive faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.