Jackson County Library Services (JCLS) is seeking a full time Librarian 1 primarily for Adult Services for the Medford Branch Library in Medford, Oregon. The Librarian 1 is the entry level position to the Librarian job family.
Under direction from management, the Librarian 1 serves primarily in Adult Services, plans and facilitates library programs, plans and facilitates community outreach, provides customer service and readers’ advisory at service desks, coordinates and trains volunteers, and works alongside other key stakeholders to create policies, procedures, workflows and sustainable approaches for a variety of library programs and services. The Librarian 1 position also supports Teen Services as a secondary point of reference.
Jackson County is located in the lush southern Oregon region and offers residents a rich history, arts & culture, outdoor adventure, and fine dining. Area attractions include spectacular hiking and biking, the nationally designated "Wild and Scenic" Rogue River, the Tony Award-winning Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, more than 60 wineries, and dozens of concerts, featuring world-class artists, in classical music, jazz, blues, folk, bluegrass, world, pop and country music: http://southernoregon.org/things-to-do .
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily
· Provides excellent customer service to all patrons
· Provides digital resources and instruction on databases and digital collections
· Provides reader’s advisory for adult literature, familiarity with teen literature and trends
· Researches current library trends for the adult demographics
· Works closely with other Librarians and library management to plan, implement and promote programming activities
· Builds community partnerships and participates in community outreach through classes, workshops, and programs in the library as well as in the community
· Creates innovative programming responsive to community needs and interests
· Provides reference and computer/technology help to patrons
· Evaluates basic statistical data and prepares basic statistical reports and surveys for the library, management and other entities i.e. local government/customers
· Serves on committees and at times may serve as the chairperson for committees
· Will be cross-trained and comfortable working all building service points (circulation, children's, teen, and reference)
· May handle opening and closing responsibilities; counting money, completing daily cash reports; may be left in charge of the library building
· Knows and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library.
· Follows all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records.
· Other duties as assigned
Additional Info & Requirements
· ALA accredited MLIS degree required. Applicants currently enrolled in an ALA accredited MLIS program will be considered.
· One year librarian experience preferred
· Proficiency with technology and technological trends including coding, robotics, video games, etc.
· Proficiency in MS Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
· Knowledge of online library databases and services
· Excellent customer service skills
· Excellent communication skills– both verbal and written
· Able to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, evenings and weekends
LS&S is the premier and most respected provider of library management and data services to state and federal Government Agencies. We partner with our library clients to provide world class service and professional expertise; protecting their library investment. With a proven track record, we utilize a team approach - providing accountable, unique and responsive solutions to delight library users. With already over 80 locations across the United States, LS&S is on a rapid growth pattern with plans for expanding our business.
Human Resources / Job Listings
HR Contact: email@example.com
Join Library Systems & Services (LS&S) and enjoy the flexibility, support, and values that come with being part of the nation’s third largest library network. In our unique company, you will find an abundance of opportunities and satisfaction as you:
• Join a caring community of people who love libraries
• Share insights with highly credible library professionals, many with MLS degrees
• Become a trusted partner to our library’s communities
• Effect positive change for libraries and library science
Being a library professional is a way of life – so we believe in making our employees’ lives as rewarding as possible. Some of the programs we offer our employees include:
Loan Forgiveness Program for degreed MLS & MLIS employees -
Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage - 401K Retirement Plan - Tuition Reimbursement
Short & Long-term disability coverage - Dependent Daycare Plan