Library Systems & Services (LS&S) is seeking a part time (20 hours) Librarian 1 - Adult & Teen Services for Jackson County Library Services (JCLS) at the Ashland Library in Ashland, Oregon. The Ashland Adult/Teen Librarian will spend most of their time at the Adult Services desk and at least one shift per week at the Teen Services Desk. The Librarian 1 is the entry level position to the Librarian job family and provides reference and reader's advisory services from the reference desk. Librarian 1 works alongside members of the Library Management Team and with other key stakeholders to develop policies, procedures, workflows and sustainable approaches for a variety of library programs and services. This position, with more senior Librarian or Director oversight, works both independently and with other staff to execute small to large scale projects.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
• Provides reference and computer help to patrons
• Be a proficient reader's adviser
• May be left in charge of the library building
• Coordinates and executes a variety of programs and initiatives for the library
• Evaluates basic statistical data and prepares basic statistical reports and surveys for the library, LS&S management and other entities i.e. local government/customers
• Is expected to be able to be competent and comfortable at all branch service points (children's, teen, circulation, and reference)
• May serves on system wide committees
• May handle opening and closing responsibilities; counting money, completing daily cash reports
• Know and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library.
• Follow all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records.
• Other duties as assigned
Additional Info & Requirements
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
• ALA accredited MLIS degree required. Applicants currently enrolled in an MLIS program will be considered.
• One year of librarian experience preferred
• Proficiency in MS Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of online library databases and services
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent communication skills– both verbal and written
• Able to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, evenings and weekends
Equal Opportunity Employer: AA M/F/Vet/Disability
LS&S is the premier and most respected provider of library management and data services to state and federal Government Agencies. We partner with our library clients to provide world class service and professional expertise; protecting their library investment. With a proven track record, we utilize a team approach - providing accountable, unique and responsive solutions to delight library users. With already over 80 locations across the United States, LS&S is on a rapid growth pattern with plans for expanding our business.
Human Resources / Job Listings
HR Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join Library Systems & Services (LS&S) and enjoy the flexibility, support, and values that come with being part of the nation’s third largest library network. In our unique company, you will find an abundance of opportunities and satisfaction as you:
• Join a caring community of people who love libraries
• Share insights with highly credible library professionals, many with MLS degrees
• Become a trusted partner to our library’s communities
• Effect positive change for libraries and library science
Being a library professional is a way of life – so we believe in making our employees’ lives as rewarding as possible. Some of the programs we offer our employees include:
Loan Forgiveness Program for degreed MLS & MLIS employees -
Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage - 401K Retirement Plan - Tuition Reimbursement
Short & Long-term disability coverage - Dependent Daycare Plan