Position Summary: Under general supervision, supports the Library’s mission through providing direct customer service assistance in circulation functions, deliver pre-planned programming and technology assistance, and in ensuring accurate and timely access to materials and resources.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Demonstrates excellent external customer service by greeting customers throughout the library; models exemplary customer service skills in circulation and technology functions.
- Performs all circulation functions including registration, customer accounts, and fines, and holds.
- Assists customers with locating materials, provides readers’ advisory, places Interlibrary Loan or purchase requests and places holds at the service desk or by phone.
- Responds to basic reference questions using Pikes Peak Library District databases, online and/or print resources.
- Uses Library software to assist customers with room reservations and program registration.
- Resolves billing questions, maintains billing processes, and circulation concerns. May compile and submit statistics.
- Assists customers in using more advanced technology including email, Internet access, e-materials and Microsoft Office products including individual customer help sessions.
- Trains new staff and volunteers in circulation procedures and may be assigned to the circulation trainers’ team.
- May assist programming staff or may provide pre-planned programming with the use of kits or other provided material in a limited role.
- Maintains financial records and balances cash register according to established procedures.
- Maintains customer confidentiality.
- In conjunction with the library supervisor, ensures pull lists are completed and hold shelves are maintained daily.
- Demonstrates excellent internal customer service through assisting other staff or participating in other projects as assigned.
- Proactively participates in ensuring the safety and security of customers and staff while at the library.
- Monitors workflow and reacts to work prioritization in department.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Empties bookdrop; processes returned and transferred material.
- May order office supplies, process periodicals and community information.
- May assist Collection Management as Assistant Collection Evaluators staff.
- May assist with merchandising displays.
- Shelves books and other library materials in accurate alphabetical, numerical or Dewey Decimal System order.
- Reads shelves to ensure materials are in accurate alphabetical, numerical or Dewey Decimal System order; maintains a neat appearance.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled All-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Ability to maintain effective, productive relationships with customers and staff; calmly and effectively assists customers in difficult or stressful situations.
- Ability to perform advanced computer skills and library system computer functions.
- Knowledge of basic skills such as alphabetical and numerical filing.
- Ability to learn and use a variety of library and standard office equipment and software; demonstrates knowledge of office equipment operation.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills; understands and follows verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Ability to effectively perform sorting, shelving, retrieval and circulation of materials by using step stools and appropriate lifting methods, including an ability to lift up to 35 pounds safely. Position includes repeated lifting, bending, stretching, standing and walking.
- Ability to stand for up to four hours.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires high school diploma or G.E.D.
2. Requires at least one year of job related experience: customer service, public service, administrative or clerical experience with public contact.
3. Requires experience with computer equipment and software, including knowledge of the Library’s Integrated Library System software; recent circulation experience is preferred.
4. Requires excellent communication skills and ability to work as an effective team member.
5. Requires passing of a Post Offer Pre-employment Physical test.
6. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Regular lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other materials (up to 35 pounds) is required. Ability to push a loaded book truck required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
DATE POSTED: March 03, 2020
LOCATION: 8010 Severy Rd, Cascade, Colorado 80809
STARTING WAGE: $13.90 per hour + partial benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 24 hours per week per the following current work schedule:
Monday 12 – 7 p.m.
Tuesday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. (Manitou Springs)
Thursday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Friday 12 – 4 p.m.
NOTE: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs on the Application tab
2. Attachments should be submitted in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires a cover letter and resume to be submitted with application. Applications not including a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531-6333, Ext. 6380
CLOSING DATE: Online application materials must be received by March 17, 2020 at 9:59 p.m. MDT
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All selected candidates…
- are required to complete a Department of Homeland Security I-9 Form at the time of hire and must be able to provide acceptable documentation in order to verify his/her legal right to be employed in the U.S. (pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). Pikes Peak Library District participates in E-Verify.
- are subject to a full reference and background investigation including verification of identification (including verification of Social Security number using USCIS E-verify), education, former employment, and criminal history.
- may be uniformly tested for job-related skills and required physical abilities.
- may be required to undergo a physical examination after a job offer is extended in order to ensure that the job’s physical requirements are met.
- must understand and comply with PPLD’s drug-free workplace policy.
- understand and agree that they have been hired at the will of the employer and that employment may be terminated at any time, with or without reason, and with or without notice, in accordance with Colorado law.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Pikes Peak Library District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation including gender expression, genetic information, military status, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. The library reserves the right to hire more than one person per advertised vacancy.