Action Staffing Solutions Government Division is currently looking for an On Site Librarian with 3-5 years of experience to work as Government Contractor for the Bureau of Land Management Library.
The contractor shall provide on-site technical support to BLM in the form of one Librarian. The staff member is to be located at the National Operations Center, Denver Federal Center, Lakewood, CO. This support is generally required from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (except for Federal holidays).
The contractor shall work no more than 80 hours over a two-week period (10 business days). The contractor may work greater or less than 8 hours per day, to allow flexible time and/or accommodate support requirements, so long as the total hours over the two week periods does not exceed 80 hours.
The Contractor shall conduct the following work in support of the BLM Library:
1. Support digitization operations.
- Coordinate with BLM librarians, catalogers (contract staff), and digitization vendor.
- Participate in all aspects of BLM Library’s large-scale digitization effort. Specific tasks may include identifying items to be digitized, prioritizing items and workflow, managing systems used to track project activity, harvesting files, and managing the content management system used to organize digitized items. Digitization will include both print and electronic items.
- Tasks may also include submitting requests to vendor to edit metadata, updating catalog records, and tracking and returning publications borrowed from other BLM offices for digitization.
2. Provide reference services to BLM Library customers.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of BLM Reference Librarian.
- Provide reference services to internal (BLM) and external customers. Tasks may include document delivery, interlibrary loan requests to DOI Library, literature searches, and preparation of materials for ready reference and library instruction.
3. Incorporate “born digital” items into the library’s collection.
- Identify and locate existing electronic publications and document files including, but not limited to: planning/NEPA documents dated 2000 onward; resource surveys and/or reports; technical guides and/or reports; annual and/or progress reports; other BLM national, state, and field office publications; and select publications of BLM partners. Target publications primarily will be those created by BLM, submitted to BLM, or produced under contract to BLM but may include publications of the Department of Interior (DOI), other DOI agencies, and other publishers as determined by BLM Library staff.
- Manage electronic copies using file management best practices. May require developing workflow processes for file harvesting, naming conventions, and assigning metadata. May require working with BLM Library staff on development and management of an institutional repository or other file management system.
- Send select electronic publications, which meet criteria established by BLM Library staff, to the library’s digitization vendor for inclusion in the library’s digitized collection and conversion to other file formats. May require developing workflow processes in concert with established digitization operations.
- Add electronic publications to catalog; may require original or copy cataloging. Cataloging will follow house style and meet RDA standards.
4. Assist BLM librarians with collection development.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of BLM Librarians.
- Assist BLM librarians, as needed, with collection development. Tasks may include assessing the collection; suggesting actions to remove/replace outdated materials and fill gaps in subject coverage; and identifying other measures needed to ensure that the collection meets the needs of BLM scientists and managers.
5. Manage library website and science website.
- Performed in coordination with and in support of BLM Digital Services Librarian.
- Monitor sites for outdated or incorrect information and correct as needed.
- May require development of content and layout for BLM Library website and BLM science website. Content development may include writing copy, managing and uploading files, preparing instructional materials, and researching and developing subject guides.
- May require building pages and adding content in designated content management system(s), ensuring Section 508-compliance and maintaining best practices for user experience.
The contract librarian is expected to become familiar with BLM Library systems, methods, holdings, and goals. BLM librarians will work with the contract librarian to refine a work plan, including identifying priorities, milestones, and pace. The contract librarian will identify needs (information, resources, supplies, etc.), develop recommendations, and communicate them to library staff and the Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR). The contract librarian will demonstrate the ability to work independently and adjust to changing priorities.
The tasks outlined above may include helping to develop workflows and processes. The contract librarian will document recommendations for any new or revised procedures as well as decisions regarding the approval or rejection of each. The contract librarian also will instruct BLM librarians and contract staff on new processes, systems, and resources developed in the course of the contract librarian’s work.
Monthly reports will be submitted to the COR, with a copy to BLM librarians, showing tasks completed and highlighting accomplishments.
Systems and software experience:
BLM Library will provide computer hardware, software, and access to systems needed to perform the required work. The contract librarian must complete annual systems security training with a passing minimum score required to access BLM computer systems. Initial security training must be completed before the contract librarian reports for duty; subsequent training may be performed during work hours at BLM Library.
- SirsiDynix/EOS International’s EOS.Web Enterprise Integrated Library System (ILS) provides the BLM Library’s online catalog of print and electronic collections.
- Internet Archive (IA) is the non-profit organization that provides the scanning of documents into several formats, secure access through frequently used Internet search engines, and an archive for permanent access through an interagency agreement and contract through the Library of Congress FEDLINK Office.
- CONTENTdm, a digital collection management software, provides a BLM Library Digital Collection website for access to and display of the Historical Photo collection.
- The Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative has been selected as BLM Library’s source of best practices for digitization.
- BLM Library is a member of OCLC and subscribes to the OCLC Connexion cataloging service for OCLC/MARC cataloging. Access will be provided by BLM Library.
- Access to the RDA Toolkit will be provided by BLM Library.
- The Contractor shall demonstrate the capacity to fulfill the following required skills:
- Master of Library Science degree (MLS or equivalent)
- Experience providing reference services in a library setting.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service, including interpreting customer needs and offering timely and specific solutions.
- Familiarity with large-scale digitization efforts and best practices.
- Experience providing digital services in a library setting as a primary component of job duties.
- Experience managing websites, including familiarity with Section 508-compliance and user experience best practices.
- Familiarity with Drupal.
- Familiarity with OCLC systems and products including CONTENTdm, Connexion, and WorldCat.
- Familiarity with establishing and/or maintaining an institutional repository.
Additional Info & Requirements
When submitting application please include answers to the below questionnaire
- What led you to pursue librarianship?
- Please describe what you enjoy about assisting patrons with their reference requests.
- Describe a challenging reference interaction, how you handled it, and what the outcome was.
- Please describe your experience managing digital collections, and what you did to optimize accessibility to the collection.
Action Staffing Solutions is a woman and family owned local staffing agency that supports clients in the private sector and public sector across the nation. Action Staffing Solutions was founded by Robin Fischer in 2008 after a successful career in the international staffing industry. The goal is to make a difference in someone’s life every day! The company continues to grow year after year achieving the Inc. 5000 List and the Mercury 100 List for one of the fastest growing privately held businesses. We strive for excellence and constant care for our clients, associates and internal employees. Action Staffing Solutions offers attractive benefits to all employees and supports many non-profit agencies within the community.
Our Mission Statement:
“Our mission is to offer “Quality and Service Driven Results.” We Pride ourselves on “Building Diversified Relationships Through Integrity, Ethics and Value to ALL of our clients and associates.”
- We are committed to creating solutions for our clients.
- Our Word is Our Bond.
- Constant Care-
- Human Capital is the most crucial investment of any organization. We partner with our clients to provide the right personnel to accomplish our client’s goals and objectives.
- We take great care to provide exceptional service through quality relationships with our clients, associates and employees.
- We operate responsibly with high ethical standards and accountability.
- We deal with fairness, decency and respect for others
- We believe teamwork is the key to success.
- We trust and empower our employees and build long-term relationships with our clients.
- We are flexible and create progressive solutions to the business needs of our clients.
- Our employees are empowered and have the knowledge, business skills and are responsive to our clients.
Human Resources / Job Listings
If you are interested in job opportunities with Action Staffing Solutions email your resume to email@example.com