Jackson County Library Services
LIBRARY ASSOCIATE- COLLECTION DEPARTMENT
MEDFORD LOCATION FULL-TIME/40 HOURS
$16.27 TO $20.38 PER HOUR
$33,847 TO $42,393 PER YEAR
CLOSES JUNE 22, 2020 – OPEN UNTIL FILLED
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a JCLS Application, Cover Letter and Resume. The JCLS Application can be found at https://jacksoncountylibrarydistrict.org/index.php/jcld-employment. These items must be turned in to the Human Resources Department no later than Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 12:00PM PST.
Materials can be submitted by emailing to email@example.com. Only candidates with complete materials and who meet the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.
The Library Associate – Collection Development position performs a variety of moderately complex technical and paraprofessional duties in support of various sections or functions of the library, primarily in the collection development, technical services department, circulation or primary service desk and provides excellent customer service to internal library customers (staff) and patrons.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides customer service through the collection development to other library staff and library patrons.
• Assists materials selectors with data entry tasks.
• Assists with weeding of library materials, both remotely and onsite in the branches.
• Assists with patron and staff Suggestions for Purchase.
• Reviews overburdened holds and adds additional copies to carts on vendor website.
• Withdraws and processes library materials as needed.
• Adds items to the library collection in the Integrated Library System.
• Receives, unboxes and processes incoming materials getting them shelf ready.
• Addresses or escalates patron conduct or safety issues to appropriate management.
• Regular attendance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Customer service techniques to handle a variety of customer interactions.
• Effective oral and written communications.
• Promotional skills to provide customers with information about services, programs, and special events.
• Effective problem-solving skills.
• Interpersonal skills to promote teamwork.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Basic to intermediate knowledge of computers, related equipment, Internet and fundamental research, and commonly used office software to perform data entry and to create original documents, save, and open/review/edit existing documents.
• Knowledge of the educational, developmental, and interest levels of the different
• Knowledge of basic library services including ability to use alpha and/or numeric systems for accurate and fast-paced materials placement.
• Intermediate library circulation policies and procedures (and designated Administrative
• Library print and electronic resources including commonly used reference sources, library databases, and/or Internet.
• Library’s integrated library system.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
1. High School Diploma or GED.
1. Two years of library experience.
• Criminal background check required.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is continuously required to communicate by talking and listening, use of fingers and hands, repetitive motion and sitting. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach, sit and feel. Occasionally bend, stoop, grasp and rarely to feel, kneel or crawl. The
position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc., may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
Manual dexterity and coordination are required over [75%] of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard and standard office equipment.
Travel to other district locations and/or to workshops/professional meetings/conferences.
This level has a work environment that is well protected, with virtually no hazards or obstacles. There is very little element of personal risk or hazard. Job conditions are stable, usually well managed, and very comfortable. Conditions may consist of the following:
● Reading for comprehension and direction (policies & procedures)
● Speaking to share and respond
● Presenting to a wide range of ages and audiences to inspire lifelong learning
● Considerable cognitive process to make effective decisions for non-routine work
● Various equipment includes computers with a keyboard and mouse, telephone, and other electronic devices to share documents, information and discussion
● Deadlines and changing priorities with multiple demands on time
This position is placed at range F on the JCLS salary schedule, and has a starting salary range of $33,847 to $37,624 per year. The full salary range is $33,847 to $42,393. Placement on the salary schedule is based upon education and experience.
JCLS offers a competitive benefits package including 401(a), medical, dental and vision coverage to employees and qualified dependents. In addition, JCLS provides vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
After the preliminary screening, selected candidates will be invited for an initial interview. Videoconference interviews (in lieu of an in-person initial interview) will be offered. Candidates to be interviewed will be selected from applicants who most closely meet the minimum and desired qualifications. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview.
JCLS reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely filling of the position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees must satisfy all of the pre-employment requirements prior to appointment that include, but are not limited to; verification of their legal right to work in the United States, and a background check.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations in completing the application or the interview process
must notify the Human Resources Department in advance.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
JCLS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment, of any type, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The organization employs affirmative personnel measures to ensure the achievement of equal employment opportunities in all aspects of employment, and the work environment. These policies of nondiscrimination will prevail throughout every aspect of the employment relationship, including recruitment, selection, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, training, and conflict resolution.
Jackson County Library Services (JCLS) serves the 212,000 residents of Jackson County with 15 branch libraries. The mission of the Jackson County Library District is to connect everyone to information, ideas, and each other. We provide a wide range of children’s, teen, and adult physical and electronic resources and collections as well as outreach services, including booktalks for elementary and middle school students, services for homebound patrons, and outreach to childcare centers.