WEST WARWICK PUBLIC LIBRARY
Youth Services Librarian
The West Warwick Public Library seeks a creative, bright, motivated individual for a full-time position as the Youth Services Librarian. This position reports directly to the Head of Youth Services.
The Youth Services Librarian is responsible for library services for children ages birth through 18 and their parents and caregivers. This includes collection development, early literacy programs, storytimes, sensory programming, after-school programming for kids, teens and more. Under the direction of the Head of Youth Services this position is responsible for planning, organizing, developing services and maintaining a collection for the entirety of the Youth Department.
A Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college OR Degree conferred by December 2020. At least one to three years of library experience preferred and one to three years of experience working with youth required. OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Examples of Duties
- Attends professional development and participates in professional organizations.
- Meets with other library staff and outside organizations in order to coordinate activities and exchange information.
- Keeps current with new trends in library planning and services.
- Assists in promoting library use both in person and digitally by creating attractive promotional materials and using social media.
- Evaluates and maintains a collection of materials in all formats for young people.
- Provides readers advisory and acts as a liaison with schools, daycare, and homeschoolers.
- Assists children, teens, parents, caregivers, and teachers with library services.
- Coordinates youth service operations with other library departments to develop programs and services to meet the specific needs of children, teens, and families.
- Oversees and supervises part-time staff with direction from and in the absence of the department head.
- Develops services and programs for young people; conducts services and programs for young people as part of regular duties.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency in Sierra, Microsoft Office, and use of PC computers.
- Creativity, planning, and organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Practiced ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to develop short and long-term development and operation plans and programs for the youth department.
- Ability to administer programs and activities for children and teens.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of children’s literature and children’s interests.
- Considerable knowledge of the needs and abilities of babies, children, and teens.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library functions.
- Represents the library and participates in outreach
Hours: 35 hours a week, including evenings and alternate Saturdays.
Starting salary: $33,033 Excellent benefits.
An affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Send Cover letter and resume by August 1st to:
Colin McCullough, Director
West Warwick Public Library
1043 Main Street
West Warwick, RI 02893
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
West Warwick Public Library has been serving the great folks of West Warwick and beyond for over 50 years! We offer 3 floors of books, materials, computer and tech access, a variety of clubs, ongoing events, the largest selection of Tabletop RPG games and guides, an English as a Second Language (ESL) classroom and free lessons, a passport registration program, outreach, notaries, tech lessons, and so much more!
External Job Ad
Human Resources / Job Listings
Varies by position. See open position for details. To inquire about open positions, see wwpl.org/employment or call (401) 828-3750 x 5.